By Elisinio Castillo
Former two division world champion Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez (51-3-2, 28KOs) has denied reports in Argentina which claim the fighter has announced his retirement from boxing.
Martinez, 40-years-old and inactive since last year's June knockout loss to Miguel Cotto, has been dealing with severe knee injuries since 2013.
The former champion does not deny taking part in the overseas interview, but says his comments were taken out of context and made to appear as if he had announced his retirement.
"I have not announced any retirement. I did not confirm anything. They took my words out of context," Martinez said.
In the interview, Martinez discussed his injury and continuing to deal with the physical issues.
"I am a boxer, my knee is shattered. I am 40 years old, I`m getting wrinkles and my hair is falling out," Martinez was quoted as saying in Argentina`s La Nacion daily on Monday. "I`ve already made up my mind, but in a few weeks I will have a final meeting with doctors and make my announcement then."
It's been said that Martinez may step in the ring for a final time, before his loyal fans in Argentina, as a goodbye fight.