Advertisement: IBO Boxing
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com
Advertisement

Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde - Purse Bid Set For April 8

Last month, the World Boxing Organization officially ordered a light heavyweight contest between WBO world champion Sergey Kovalev and undefeated top challenger Anthony Yarde.

The sanctioning body gave both sides thirty days to negotiate and reach an agreement.

Because the two sides were unable to reach an agreement, the sanctioning body has now set a purse bid. The purse bid will be held at 11:00 a.m. EST on Monday, April 8th at the World Boxing Organization headquarters in San Juan, PR.

yarde-kovalev

The minimum acceptable bid for the fight is $300,000.00.

Under the WBO rules, if the title fight between the champion and the mandatory challenger is held in the country of origin, residence or nationality of the champion, the champion shall receive 75% of the purse and the challenger shall receive the remaining 25%.  In fight for the title held in any other country, the champion shall receive 80% of the purse and the challenger shall receive the remaining 20%.  

Kovalev, a three time light heavyweight champion, regained the WBO strap in February after dominating Eleider Alvarez over twelve rounds for a unanimous decision. The contest was a rematch of their 2018 encounter, which saw Kovalev suffered a shocking knockout in the seventh round.

Yarde (18-0, 17 KOs) has been demolishing the competition, but he's yet to face a boxer on the level of Kovalev.

Yarde saw action last month and battered Travis Reeves over five rounds for a stoppage victory.

He's been able to stop every single opponent since his second pro fight in 2015. A contest with Kovalev would answer a lot of questions about Yarde, because the young talent has never fought beyond the seventh round, and there has been speculation on whether or not he is capable of fighting a tough pace in a twelve round bout.

Yarde's promoter Frank Warren has a very close working relationship with Bob Arum of Top Rank, who has several options on Kovalev. Warren and Arum co-promote heavyweight contender Tyson Fury.

User Comments and Feedback
Comment by _Rexy_ on 04-05-2019

[QUOTE=Ssssh11;19639129]I don't know how to spell his name, you knew what I meant so why are you being a D*"_ about it...I didn't offend anyone I just wanted to make a point that Yarde has a chance of beating the…

Comment by Ssssh11 on 04-05-2019

[QUOTE=7NN;19638127]Look, that was pretty simple. You went from Gvozdyk to govnick, that's quite a transformation. Now what does govnick mean in Gvozdyk's native lang?[/QUOTE] I don't know how to spell his name, you knew what I meant so why are…

Comment by Derranged on 04-05-2019

Exposedalev ducking Alvarez rubber match. He used roids for the rematch and he knows he gets KTFO again without his Russian Mafia PED's.

Comment by Deus on 04-05-2019

So just to clarify... does anybody believe that this fight is going to happen?

Comment by 7NN on 04-05-2019

[QUOTE=Ssssh11;19636233]I've got no idea what your saying. please speak English that's the language I understand.[/QUOTE] Look, that was pretty simple. You went from Gvozdyk to govnick, that's quite a transformation. Now what does govnick mean in Gvozdyk's native lang?

ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (53)
Advertisement
Top Headlines
Scott Fitzgerald Arrested After Confrontation With Ex-Partner Anthony Joshua: Even Rebel Like Me Is Following Coronavirus Guidelines DAZN Won't Pay Rights Fees Until Events Resume; To Furlough Employees Ramirez-Postol Postponed A Second Time Due To Coronavirus Pandemic WBSS Fantasy Tournament: Marvin Hagler Stops Kelly Pavlik in Eight Brook on Facing Crawford: I Won't Look For a Way Out Like Khan! Pedro Diaz in Contact With His Stable, Ensures They Stay in Shape Fury Smiles: I'll Never Tire of Beating Wilder, I'll Take Pride In It! Robert Garcia Urges Stable To Remain Patient And Stay Ready Davison: Wilder Will Be Dangerous If He Lets His Hands Go In Third Fury Fight Andrade To Charlo: I'm The Best And Willing To Put That In Action Devin Haney Sees Luke Campbell vs. Javir Fortuna as 50-50 Fight Boxing Without Boxing: The Magnificent Max Baer Aaron Aponte Goes Pro, Given Praise From Top Trainers Joyce's Manager: New Date, Same Result - Dubois Gets Stopped! McDermott Still Feel Strongly That He Beat Tyson Fury in 2009 Jackson England Discusses WBC Asia Title Victory Sampson Boxing, Paco Postponed Planned 4/24 Las Vegas Card The Quarantine Debates: Carving Out Boxing's Mount Rushmore Khan Backs Tyson Fury: Joshua Will Be An Easy Win For Him! Povetkin's Promoter: I Agree With Delay, Whyte is Dangerous Fight Haney: I Feel Like They Should Reinstate Me As WBC Champion Jeff Horn: Just Give Me Eight Weeks Notice For Tszyu, I'm Ready For Any Date Atlas Praises Joshua For Bouncing Back, Expects Him To Beat Pulev Claressa Shields Details Her Fiery Exchange With Laila Ali UFC's Dana White Unloads on Boxing, Says It's Very "F--ked Up" Jacobs: Benavidez Strongest, Plant Most Beatable Of 168-Pound Champs Saunders: No Excuse For My Actions, In Poor Taste, I Apologize WBSS Fantasy Tournament: Sugar Ray Robinson Blasts Fernando Vargas in Five Hearn Discusses The Status of Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev Japan’s Rookie Of The Year Tournament Postponed Due To COVID-19 Pacquiao Angered By Leaked Letter, Wants Full Investigation Hearn on Saunders Domestic Violence Video: It Was So Idiotic! Tokyo Olympics Rescheduled For July 23-August 8, 2021 Vazquez: Second Fight With Marquez Is My Favorite, Without A Doubt Saunders Suspended By British Boxing Board For Controversial Video Mikey Garcia: I Would Fight Pacquiao Similar To How Marquez Did Whyte-Povetkin, Usyk-Chisora Cards Pushed Back Due To COVID-19 Thurman: I Wanna Become Complete Monster Again, Dominate Welterweight Division Luke Campbell Staying Patient, But Fears Title Shot May Never Come
Advertisement
Advertisement
Latest Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement