Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Schaefer Expects Khan-Peterson To Become a No-Contest

By Terence Dooley

Richard Schaefer has told Sky Sports that he expects Amir Khan's fight with Lamont Peterson to be declared a no-contest in the coming days.  The furor over a ringside 'mystery man', later revealed to be Mustafa Ameen, an IBF official who attended the fight but was not on official business and was adjudged to be distracting judge George Hill, who gave the fight to Lamont by 112-113, was started by Khan via Twitter earlier this week and now looks to have finally turned the tide in the Bolton boxer's favor and should result in a rematch.

"His name is Mustafa Ameen and the IBF have confirmed to us his name, and that he's involved in an official capacity with the IBF," said Schaefer.  "However, he was not in Washington in an official IBF capacity, but the IBF asked the Washington commision to issue him a credential so that he could attend the fight.  We have been informed by the WBA that they will order an immediate rematch.  We received verbal confirmation and will get a written confirmation by Tuesday.  That means that no fighter can take an interim fight, that the next fight for Peterson would be a rematch."

Khan's team have complained long and hard about the result, with the blame oscilating between referee Joseph Cooper, the judges who gave the fight to Peterson, errors on the scorecards, the not-so-mystery man and the fact that Peterson was in his hometown, a claim tempered by the fact that it was a Golden Boy/Khan Promotions show.  Lost in all the confusion is the fact that Amir failed to fire on the night and kept commiting little fouls despite knowing the ref was on his case.

However, Amir has now managed to net himself a second bite of the cherry judging by the WBA's response, although if the fight is declared a NC the organization can strip Peterson of his titles as they did when James Toney's WBA heavyweight title fight with John Ruiz was declared a no-contest after Toney was found guilty of doping.  This case is different, unique in fact, so it remains to be seen how the WBA will handle it should the no-contest be declared, given their history they will probably create a new belt and name both men as champion or interim champions pending a rematch.  History and the WBA's enforcement of their rules suggests that a no-contest will result in the WBA title being handed back to Khan.

Ironically, if the fight was judges purely on what happened inside the ring you could give the decision to either man depending on your scoring perspective, was Amir's back pedaling effective?  Did Lamont land enough power shots to take the decision?  It left more questions than answers and now looks to be set for a return.  However, should Khan lose a close one the second time around there is every chance that GBP and the Bolton fighter's team may refuse to accept the decision after the precedent set by this fight.

Khan's other option was to praise his opponent for pulling off a shock win, give credit to the atmosphere created by the fans in DC and ask the people watching on HBO and around the world to call for a return due to the close nature of the fight, he instead opted to lurch from one PR disaster to the next.  Although you cannot argue with the bottom line, the fury and persistence of his complaints looks to have led to a rematch and possibly a dangerous precedent in the sport as powerful fighters backed by the big name organizations may now attempt to overturn any and every result that they disagree with, as Oscar De La Hoya attempted to do when refusing to accept his narrow defeat to Shane Mosley in their return contest.

Please send news and views to [email protected] or Twitter @Terryboxing.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Lorily on 01-08-2012

If there was any recent fight that deserved to be over turned in to a NC, it was the Lara/Williams fight. They found that the Judges [I]themselves[/I] were incompetent enough to suspend them all FFS (including the one who had…

Comment by Leohappy on 01-08-2012

they won't strip peterson come on.... that would be one of the biggest bull****s in boxing history. multiple judges and split decisions exist in pro boxing for a reason.

Comment by big paulie on 01-08-2012

Fukk it overturn Marquez Pac 3 and Mayweather Castillo 1 and the hundreds of close fights in between while your at it. What a joke this fight wasnt even controversial close yes but not controversial. Schaefer starting to annoy me…

Comment by Money_May on 01-07-2012

No way should it be a no contest, but there should be a rematch. A lot of butthurt people in this thread though. One thing to say WAHHHHHHHHHHH :lol1: :lol1:

Comment by Hougigo on 01-07-2012

[QUOTE=voneric;11640296][B]If it was changed to a No Contest, how much you wanna bet Khan will not give Peterson a rematch?[/B] I have seen bad decisions before and the fight was not that Controversial. There were plenty of Warnings and The…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (35)
Top Headlines News: Kai Robin Havnaa, Isiah Jones, Reece Cartwright, More World Boxing Council 147 Tournament - Stream Information Estrada Vows: Menayothin Will NOT Tie Mayweather's 50-0! Warren: Saunders' Domination of Lemieux Scared Off Golovkin Skeete: Spence is The Best at 147, Matthysse is The Weakest Link Photos: Rey Vargas Grinding Hard For Azat Hovhannisyan Clash Menard: I'll Show Everyone Devin Haney Took Too Big a Step Up Lomachenko: I Want To Show That Linares' Size Won't Matter Carlos Cuadras Vows To Overcome Battle With Drugs and Alcohol Keith Thurman Plans to Return From Hand Injury 'This Summer' Diaz: Gary Russell in For a 'Rude Awakening Come Fight Night' Sulecki: Danny Jacobs Won't Ever Repeat Golovkin Performance Vanes: I'll Test Golovkin's Chin, Not Run Like a 'Bad Steak' Guy! Parker Promoter Wants Him to Fight Bellew vs. Haye Winner Frank Warren on Frampton's Future, Tete's Lack of Fireworks Peter McDonagh Back From Ban, May 12 In Bolton De La Hoya: Canelo Will Wail on Golovkin For That Bullsh*t Ad! Vanes: This Fight Will Be Like Two Mexicans Going To War Wilder To Serve as Honorary Pace Car Driver at GEICO 500 Jacobs Reflects on Charlo Confrontation, Building Superstar Run Carlos Cuadras Enters Rehab To Deal With Drug Issues Loeffler's Hollywood Fight Night Series Returns on May 22 Photos: Lomachenko Putting in Work For Linares Showdown Keith Thurman Explains Why He Vacated The WBC World Title Chocolatito Appears Unlikely For Golovkin-Vanes Card Jessie Vargas Would Fight Broner in Texas - Rejects Idea of Ohio Saunders: Even if Canelo Beats GGG - He's Still a Cheat To Me News: Matias vs. Estrella Set, Zuhayr Al-Qahtani, Castillo, Villa Photos: Gary Russell, Joseph Diaz - Go Face To Face at Presser Mikey Garcia vs. Robert Easter Unification Next, Says Sulaiman Keith Thurman Vacates WBC Title, Garcia-Porter Ordered Luis Ortiz vs. Dillian Whyte - WBC Final Eliminator Ordered Hearn: Daniel Jacobs Likes The Jermall Charlo Fight Golovkin: 'We'll See' About Having Canelo Rematch in September Adonis Stevenson: I Look Forward To Knocking Badou Jack Out! Broner-Vargas Telecast Peaked at 891,000 Viewers on Showtime Murray: Warren Does My Head In, Must Stop GGG-Saunders Talk Lewis Ritson vs. Paul Hyland, Josh Kelly vs. Kris George - June 16 Claressa Shields vs. Hanna Gabriels Set For June 22, Showtime Dmitry Bivol's Future Plans are Detailed By His Manager
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement