By Edward Chaykovsky
According to Frank Warren, promoter of WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (24-0, 12 KOs), they have NOT "moved on" from a unification with Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs), holder of the IBF, IBO, WBC, WBA titles.
There are ongoing discussions for the two undefeated champions to collide in a unification on June 10, in Golovkin's homeland of Kazakhstan.
Golovkin was in action last month at New York's Madison Square Garden, and won a tough twelve round unanimous decision over mandatory challenger Daniel Jacobs. Saunders has been out of the ring since December, when he made the first defense of his title with a lackluster decision win over Artur Akavov.
A few days ago, Saunders took to Twitter and said he was "moving on" from the Golovkin negotiations.
He claims Golovkin's promoter, Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, had failed to send over the fight contract. Saunders posted an image of a online conversation with Loeffler, which took place several weeks ago. In that conversation, the British champion was pressing to receive the contract and Loeffler promised to send it over.
Warren told Boxing News they "haven't moved on" from the negotiations. He also revealed that a statement would be issued next week with respect to Golovkin vs. Saunders, but wouldn't reveal the exact details of what that statement would be.
Last week, Saunders turned up the heat when he issued a warning to Golovkin and taunted the dangerous puncher to sign the bout agreement.
"My message to him is this: 'You can keep going on about how you want all the belts, but it's put up or shut up now. You either want to fight me in June or not. You've been mentioning my name, and I'll happily, happily oblige you with a fight. Let's stop wasting time and let's go,'" Saunders told Isaac Robinson.