By Miguel Rivera
As previously reported, the World Boxing Association's Championships Committee ordered WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KOs) to make a mandatory defense against WBA interim-super bantamweight champion Moises “Chucky” Flores (25-0, 17 KOs), from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico.
A deal has been reached, and Flores was advised that the fight was going to take place on December 3rd, as part of the undercard to Miguel Cotto's comeback card in New York City.
Things have changed with Cotto's return being pushed back to February of next year and the WBA applying pressure on Rigoneaux-Flores to take place. They plan to issue letters to Roc Nation Sports (for Rigondeaux) and Al Haymon (for Flores) to obtain a status on the fight or a purse bid will be ordered.
Flores is already in camp training, and said he was told by his management that his fight with Rigondeaux would be taking place in the second half of November.
"They are confirming the date. Before it was on December 3, but now they are telling us that it will probably take place in the second half of November. We hope they provide us with date, because I already am preparing," said Flores told ESPN Deportes.
Roc Nation has a major show coming up at the end of that month, when their fighter Andre Ward challenges light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev on November 19th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Roc Nation is staging that show with Main Events.
In November of last year, Roc Nation placed Rigondeaux vs. Drian Francisco on the undercard to Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo Alvarez at Las Vegas' Mandaly Bay Events Center. Roc Nation staged that card with Golden Boy Promotions, who have Canelo.
Rigondeaux was last in the ring back in July, when he broke the jaw of Jazza Dickens for a second round TKO win.