By Elisinio Castillo
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, the camps behind Guillermo Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KO) and Moisés Flores (25-0, 17 KO) have reached an agreement that allows them to avoid a purse bid that was scheduled for April 3rd in Panama.
Alex Bornote, an adviser for the 122-pound world champion of the World Boxing Association (WBA), is in possession of the necessary information to suspend the purse bid.
"We have been able to reach an agreement and we are going to have the fight sometime in the next few months," said Bornote to George Ebro. "We have talked to the people at Roc Nation and they are supporting Rigo 100%. I know that people want to see Rigo fight and that desire will be fulfilled.''
The fight between Rigondeaux and Flores had been ordered by the WBA since July 2016, but several factors have conspired to delay their showdown and many doubted that it would occur.
Their last scheduled date was connected to the failed event on February 25th in Texas, which was headlined with a fight between Miguel Cotto and James Kirkland - but the entire card was canceled very suspiciously after Kirkland claimed a fractured nose had forced him to withdraw.
"We are aware that Rigo fans are asking for his presence, but this [inactivity is] something that is out of their hands," his adviser said. "Our idea and that of Roc Nation is for him to fight three times a year."
Roc Nation now looking to potentially stage the fight with Flores on June 17, as part of the Andre Ward vs. Sergey Kovalev undercard at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Rigondeaux, 36, fought twice in 2014, once in 2015 and once in 2016. Unlike a lot of other fighters, Flores is very eager to get in the ring with Rigondeaux and believes that he can score a knockout over the two-time Olympic gold medal winner.