Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Ricky Hatton Has No Retirement Regrets After KO Loss

Ricky Hatton has no regrets over his comeback last year but is now happily retired and focused on leading middleweight Martin Murray to world title glory.

Hatton made his return to the ring after a three-and-a-half-year absence against fringe welterweight contender Vyacheslav Senchenko, who knocked the former two-weight world champion out in the ninth round.

The Mancunian immediately announced his retirement in the press conference following his defeat to the Ukrainian in November last year and harbours no thoughts of another comeback.

"I look at the ring now and it scares me to death to be honest with you," said the 34-year-old.

"I gave it a go in the comeback and I needed to know whether I still had it. There's nothing more than a knockout defeat that makes you think 'right, that's it, I know now' and I can go into retirement happy and content that I gave it a go. It's win-win all the way now."

Hatton, who revealed he is expecting his third child and second with partner Jennifer Dooley in August, is turning all his attentions on promoting and training young fighters.

"(Retirement has) been very enjoyable," Hatton said.

"I'm in the gym every day, I've got four very, very talented lads who I train and obviously the promoting is going really well."

One of the jewels in the Hatton Promotions crown is Murray, who is travelling to the lion's den to take on Argentina's Sergio Martinez for the WBC middleweight title in Buenos Aires on April 27.

Murray will be a heavy underdog against Martinez, who is regarded as the number one at 160lbs and a top-three fighter in the so-called pound-for-pound rankings.

Clearly the deck is stacked against the 30-year-old although Murray proved he belongs among the world elite two years ago after battling to a draw against then WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm in Germany - a bout many thought the Briton won.

Hatton is therefore hopeful that experience will stand Murray in good stead.

"I'm confident as I'm going to be. Needless to say I don't need to speak to Martin, he's keen," Hatton said.

"It's a tough ask; he's an underdog, he's fighting the best middleweight in the world and the number three pound-for-pound fighter.

"But I think it might be the right fight at the right time for Martin.

"Martinez is 38 years of age and as good as a world champion as Martinez is - and he is a very good world champion - it has to come to an end by some young, hungry (fighter) that comes through.

"Martin went into the lion's den in Germany and acquitted himself very, very well and got a draw. I don't think people thought he was capable of that.

"But he did and then he won the WBA interim title against (Jorge) Navarro and it looked like he'd stepped up a gear against him."

Martinez will be looking for his third victory against a British opponent, having defeated Murray's domestic rivals Darren Barker and Matthew Macklin.

The southpaw looked to be cruising to victory in his last fight against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in September last year but was knocked down in the final round and came close to being stopped by his unfancied Mexican opponent.

According to his promoter, that should give Murray an added reason for optimism.

"Sooner or later the reign comes to an end. He's had a few injuries along the way and he hung on for life against Chavez Junior," Hatton added.

"So as much as it will be a big ask, there's no reason why Martin shouldn't go over there and think 'this is my time and I'm capable of doing this'."

Tags: Ricky Hatton image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by paulf on 04-11-2013

He'll always be a legend.

Comment by ddangerous on 04-11-2013

[QUOTE=New England;13233490]this is good news. i'd love to see him make some noise as a promotor. these guys need an avenue for their energies once they retire. there's still only one ricky hatton.[/QUOTE] Agreed. :boxing:

Comment by Wolfie17 on 04-11-2013

Good to hear he's happy after everything he's been through in the last few years. There should be nothing but respect for Ricky, he went out of his way to fight the best when he could've stayed in Manchester and…

Comment by GuruVoodoo on 04-11-2013

[QUOTE=New England;13233490]there's still only one ricky hatton.[/QUOTE] Definitely. He may not have been one of the most gifted (British) fighters, but he was one of the most entertaining.

Comment by New England on 04-11-2013

this is good news. i'd love to see him make some noise as a promotor. these guys need an avenue for their energies once they retire. there's still only one ricky hatton.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (5)
Top Headlines Golovkin vs. Martirosyan Undercard Coming Together Ishe Smith vs. Tony Harrison Finalized - PBC on Bounce, May 11 Tevin Farmer vs. Billy Dib Ordered For Vacant IBF World Title Photos: Ramon Alvarez, Jorge Paez on Weight For Showdown Photos: Gervonta Davis, Jesus Cuellar - Ready For WBA Title Fight Photos: Jermall Charlo, Hugo Centeno - Ready For Title Fight Photos: Adrien Broner, Jessie Vargas - Ready For War Frampton Admits a Loss To Donaire Could Mean End of Career Broner Weighs In Heavier Than Vargas for Their 144-Pound Fight Photos: Otto Wallin, Adrian Granat - Ready For a Viking War Gervonta Davis Makes Weight on First Try - First Time in 3 Fights WBC Reveal Huge List of Boxers Not Drug Testing With CBP/VADA LIVE Stream: Adrien Broner vs. Jessie Vargas - Official Weigh-In Gary Russell vs. Joseph Diaz Finalized For May 19 at MGM Harbor Khan: I Want To End Career With a Big Bang, I'm Still in My Prime Max Ornelas, Tony Lopez Fight For Bragging Rights on beIN Pacquiao: I Still Have a Couple of More Fights Before I Retire Povetkin's Promoter Claims $4.3 Million Court Win Over Wilder Photos: Frampton, Donaire Prepare For Fireworks in Belfast Photos: Amir Khan, Phil Lo Greco - Ready For War in Liverpool Hugo Centeno Reflects on Stoppage Loss To Maciej Sulecki Jesus Cuellar: Gervonta Davis is Overrated; He's No Mayweather! Broner on Vargas: He Ain't Win His Fights When He Stepped Up Hearn: We Won't Let You Play With Our Balls To Overpay Wilder! BoxingScene.com's Television Picks of The Week - April 20 Max Ornelas: I'll Do Whatever it Takes To Be a World Champion Vanes Martirosyan: Canelo is a Cheater, Golovkin is a Gentleman Khan vs. Lo Greco: Bilal Rehman To Remain On Card Amir Khan: If I Lose To Lo Greco - It's All Over For Me Jessie Vargas: No One Will Care About Broner After I Beat Him Euro News: Serge Michel, Stefan Haertel, Elvis Hetemi, More Photos: Pacquiao, Matthysse - Go Face To Face in Malaysia Pacquiao Expects a "Toe To Toe" Fight With Lucas Matthysse Don King Warns That Vanes Will Bring a Real Fight To Golovkin Lamont Roach, Orlando Cruz Fight To a Ten Round Split Draw WBC Prez: Canelo's Image Can Improve, Time To Turn The Page Sullivan Barrera Wants The Winner of Kovalev-Alvarez Khan: I Hoped Canelo Would Get Longer Ban, A Few Years at Least Video: Adrien Broner Goes Bonkers on Ellerbe at Final Presser Abel Sanchez Reacts To Canelo Suspension, Sends Message To WBC
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement