Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Ricky Burns is Medically Cleared, To Start Sparring

Ricky Burns has been given the all-clear by doctors to resume sparring after undergoing surgery on his broken jaw.

The WBO lightweight world champion suffered the agonising fracture during his controversial draw with Raymundo Beltran in Glasgow in September.

But he has now been told he can return to the ring for full-contact training as he prepares to defend his belt against unbeaten American Terence Crawford.

"The doctors have given me the all clear," Burns told BBC Scotland. "Obviously I won't know how the jaw will react until it gets hit but I'm now focused on getting into camp."

Glasgow again will be the host city when Burns faces Crawford in February, although the precise venue and date have yet to be confirmed.

Burns added: "As soon as we get the date, we'll know when to start sparring so we can test my jaw. The longer I can leave it the better and I won't be happy until my jaw's been hit a couple of times.

"Sparring-wise, things won't change, although we'll maybe start off with some lighter guys for the first week.

"But the hard sparring five or six weeks before the fight will be the same as always. There will be no messing about.

"There are a few dates available and we should find out in the next couple of weeks."

Burns had vowed to give Beltran a rematch after the judges allowed him to keep hold of his title in spite of a dominant display by the Mexican.

But the WBO stepped in to insist the Coatbridge fighter take on their mandatory challenger Crawford.

The 26-year-old is four years younger than Burns and has won all 22 of his contests so far, including 16 knock-outs.

"I've seen a couple of his fights and he is very good," said Burns of his next opponent.

"Everybody's saying this will be my toughest fight to date, a lot of people are saying I'm going to be the underdog but that's the way I like it.

"I'm just going to go out there and do what I do.

"People have said some of the other guys I've fought would wipe the floor with me but I seem to rise to the occasion."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by .:: JSFD26 ::. on 12-16-2013

No more excuses. [SIZE="1"][I]Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android[/I][/SIZE]

Comment by AgainstTheRopes on 12-16-2013

He'll drop out of the fight. Bookmark it

Comment by El Angel on 12-16-2013

Enjoy the holidays Rickster. You ain't gonna be champ long after the New Year.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (3)
Top Headlines Golovkin: 'We'll See' About Having Canelo Rematch in September Adonis Stevenson: I Look Forward To Knocking Badou Jack Out! Broner-Vargas Telecast Peaked at 891,000 Viewers on Showtime Murray: Warren Does My Head In, Must Stop GGG-Saunders Talk Lewis Ritson vs. Paul Hyland, Josh Kelly vs. Kris George - June 16 Claressa Shields vs. Hanna Gabriels Set For June 22, Showtime Dmitry Bivol's Future Plans are Detailed By His Manager Malignaggi Definitely Wants To See a Broner-Vargas Rematch Charlo Wants to Test Himself Against Golovkin 'On the Way Out' Jessie Vargas-Adrien Broner: Afterthoughts Bellew: I'm Ready For War, Ready To Beat David Haye at All Costs Liam Cameron Warns Jenman That He's in For a Real Hard Night Joseph Parker Ready To Face Dillian Whyte To Get Back on Top Horn's Promoter Rips Top Rank For Approaching Crawford-Khan Bellew Fears That it May Take a Death For Boxing To Tackle PEDs Adrien Broner's Post-Fight Antics Create Yet Another Black Cloud GGG Promoter: We Feel Vanes Has Better Credentials Than Spike Francisco Vargas Pushing Hard To Secure Berchelt Rematch Golovkin: Vanes is Not an Easy Fight, This is a Real Guy Photos: Golovkin, Martirosyan - Square-Up at Media Workout Gary Russell: I Don't See Joseph Diaz Fight Being a Long Night Photos: Gennady Golovkin, Vanes Martirosyan - Go Face To Face Photos: Jessie Magdaleno Putting in Work for Isaac Dogboe Photos: Pacquiao, Matthysse - Face To Face at Petronas Towers Tony Bellew: I Had Meetings With UFC Stevenson vs. Jack Now Heads To Toronto, Not Montreal Malignaggi: Charlo and Davis Can Hang With GGG and Loma CompuBox By The Numbers: 4/21 Showtime & ESPN+ Andrzej Fonfara vs. Ismayl Sillakh on June 16 in Warsaw Konstantin Ponomarev, Ismael Barroso Return on 5/12 in Riga Conlan Can Get Olympics Revenge as Nikitin Inks With Top Rank Jessie Magdaleno Vows To Put on a Show Against Isaac Dogboe Weekend Review: Charlo, Davis, Frampton Shine - Donaire Falls Nicola Adams Inks Managerial Deal With Goodwin Boxing Results - Cantu, Vargas, Giyasov, Kuzmin Win Bouts Jermall Charlo Expects to Return for August Fight in Houston Gervonta Davis: Lomachenko Would Have to Be Pay-Per-View Fight Broner: My Stock's Up After Vargas Fight; I Performed for Y'all! Amir Khan: The Kell Brook Fight Has to Happen at 147 Pounds Frampton Hopes To Get Valdez, Selby or Warrington Next
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement