By Miguel Rivera
Last week, BoxingScene.com's Steve Kim first reported that WBC super bantamweight champion Rey Vargas would return on December 2, as part of the undercard to Miguel Cotto's defense of the WBO junior middleweight title against Sadam Ali at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
The World Boxing Council confirmed the information through its president, Mauricio Sulaiman, who said his organization was in the process of approving his next opponent.
According to Sulaiman, the WBC received a request to approve a title fight between Vargas and undefeated Colombian Oscar Negrete.
Vargas (30-0, 22 KOs) said on Saturday he had already received confirmation of fighting on Cotto's undercard but said the opponent had not been confirmed to him yet.
However, it was learned that Negrete (17-0, 7 KOs) is one of the possible opponents and perhaps the most likely.
"It is the proposal [we received], we are about to receive confirmation, we would approve that fight without a problem," said Sulaiman to ESPN Deportes about the possible fight between Vargas and Negrete, since the opponent is ranked among the top 15 and also the fight is an optional.
Although Negrete is Colombian, he never fought in the county. His entire career has played out in California, Mexico and Las Vegas. The fight, if finalized, would be a big step up for Negrete.
Vargas won the World Boxing Council title by traveling over to the Ice Arena in Hull and out-pointing undefeated Gavin McDonnell back in February while the title was vacant.
Then he made his first defense this past August 26th by decisioning Ronny Rios at the StubHub Center in Carson, California, in a bout that was broadcast by HBO.
Tickets for Cotto vs. Ali are priced at $500, $300, $200, $100 and $50 and are on sale. Tickets can be purchased at the Madison Square Garden Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster charge by phone (866-858-0008) and online at www.ticketmaster.com, www.goldenboytickets.com or www.MSG.com.