LOS ANGELES - World Boxing Organization (WBO) middleweight champion Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin (28-0, 20 KOs) puts his title belt and unbeaten record on the line April 27 in his much-anticipated first world title defense against challenger Fernando Guerrero (25-1, 19 KOs) at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Quillin was originally schedule to defend against Guerrero on February 9, however, the entire show was postponed due to an injury suffered by headliner Danny Garcia.
Fighting once again on Showtime Championship Boxing, Quillin vs. Guerrero could steal the thunder from Garcia and his challenger, Zab Judah, as Quillin did last October in the same venue against previously undefeated WBO title-holder Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, who was floored six times and eventually lost a 12-round decision (115-107, 115-107, 115-107), as well as his WBO crown.
The powerful Quillin, who now lives in New York City (Manhattan) but trains for fights in Los Angeles, returns home to fight again in Brooklyn where he lived for several years. "I'm fortunate to have my fight shown around the world through Showtime and to be going back to fight in New York City where I built my name," Quillin said. "There's not too much else in my thought process other than working hard to defend my title belt. Everyone will see me at my best on April 27th because every camp is about getting better.
"I love to challenge myself. I look in the mirror and honestly believe nobody can beat me. I still have a lot to improve, though, and I've gotten this far fighting through a lot of BS. I take what I do very seriously and anybody can see just that by watching what I put myself through at the gym."
Cuban-American favorite Quillin has a clear advantage in quality opponents fought compared to the WBO No. 9-rated Guerrero, a southpaw from the Dominican Republic who lives in Salisbury, Maryland. Quillin has defeated world champions N'Jikam and Ronald "Winky" Wright, as well as Craig McEwan, Jesse Brinkley, Fernando Zuniga, Dionisio Miranda and Antwun Echols. Guerrero's victims include J.C. Candelo, Saul Duran, Ishe Smith, Ossie Duran and Gabriel Rosado. However, Guerrero's lone loss as a professional boxer was to a then 40-year-old with 12-losses, Grady Brewer, nearly two years ago by way of a fourth-round technical knockout for the vacant North American Boxing Federation (NABF).
"I'm expecting to fight the best Fernando Guerrero," the 29-year-old Quillin added. "He lost to Brewer but there may have been things going on I don't know about. I respect him (Guerrero) but, once we step in the ring, things will be different and I won't have any respect for him, like anybody else I fight. I know he's coming in the best of shape - he'd better - and we're going to give fans what they want to see.
"A lot of guys are told early in their careers that they'll be world champions. All I was ever called when I was young was a juvenile delinquent or criminal. We've both overcome struggles. I'm not saying mine were tougher than his. Struggles make better fighters. He has said that I have power and speed, but I have a lot more -- I'm good looking and tough with balls. I've got the whole package. I want to win this fight as much as my last one."