By Steve Kim
After battling tooth-and-nail with Keith Thurman (27-0, 22KOs) for twelve rounds this past Saturday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, Shawn Porter (26-2, 16KOs) found himself on the short end of the stick on all three scorecards - with the official judges united on the score of 115-113.
It was a hard-fought contest and as the verdict was rendered, the announced crowd of over 12,000 booed loudly.
Moving forward, Kenny Porter, the father/trainer of Shawn, yearns for an immediate rematch.
"I want a rematch but being realistic I know we wont get it," Kenny admitted to BoxingScene.com.
As for how he saw the fight, Kenny says - "I really felt Shawn was imposing his will and imposing his strategy we worked on and it was working out very well for us. It was disrupted a number of times by Keith with a counter-punch here and there. But when it was disrupted Shawn adjusted, changed up and started boxing more and CompuBox showed that Shawn landed 58 jabs on Keith to 23 from Thurman, which let me know that the adjustment that we made worked well."
Most observers believed that either man could've had their hands raised in victory. Many believed a draw was justified.
"I really felt when it was all said and done that we had given everything we had needed to give, both fighters did a great job but I think Shawn should have gotten a decision there," said Kenny.
Who wonders if the roles were reversed in the ring, with Thurman forcing the action for much of the night,"What do those scores look like?"
So would 'One Time' do it twice versus Porter?
"I think he would," opines Kenny. "I don't think he'd do it now and I'm under the belief it would take him - down the line - to see that he'd do different things and maybe the fans pushing him to even really get him in there. It was really hard to get him in there the first time. And I ask you this question - did he fight like a guy who had been in a car accident in the last couple of months?"
The Porter's would like to return to action within the next few months. Coming into this past weekends bout he was laid off for more than a year after defeating Adrien Broner last June. Porter says his son is already back in the gym and going through workouts.
"We will be having meaningful discussions about Shawn fighting within 90 days, September,'' stated Porter, making it very clear that they will not settle for being sidelined again.
"We want to be back in that ring - and I don't mean by that time we will now identify a fight that will come up later. No. I mean we need to be identifying this fight within the next thirty days. We need to be setting everything in motion for Shawn to be fighting within the next 90 days."
As for not getting an assignment the rest of the year, Porter makes it clear that would be - "Unacceptable, can't happen. We're not sitting down, we have to fight."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.