By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Hard-hitting Jerwin Ancajas who has a record of 16 knockouts in 24 wins with only one defeat and one draw plans to go for a knockout against IBF super flyweight champion McJoe Arroyo of Puerto Rico when they clash in a title bout at the Philippine Navy Gymnasium in Taguig City on Saturday. Arroyo weighed in at 113-pounds, while Ancajas was 114 on the limit.
The 24 year old Anvcajas will engage the 26 year old Puerto Rican who won the vacant title with a 10th round technical decision at the Don Haskins Convention Center over previously unbeaten, classy ALA boxer King Arthur Villanueva whose handlers protested the premature stoppage by American referee Rafael Ramos who was born in Puerto Rico.
In an interview at the Grami Hotel along Sucat Road, Ancajas looked trim and ready and told The Standard, “my condition is really good, especially since he had trained for a long time after the fight was postponed since April after Arroyo suffered an injury to his left hand.
Ancajas said “I trained everyday since my trainer (Joven Jimenez) told me the fight would surely take place, but I did only light training. I didn’t abuse my body.”
Ancajas said McJoe Arroyo “is good and moves well but we’ll see what happens in the ring. My plan is to play around with him in the early rounds and if there is an opening and a chance, we’ll knock him out.”
Ancajas’s mental condition approaching the bout was okay and following his workout, Ancajas said he “eats, sleeps and runs the fight plan through my mind.”
The grandson of the late “Flash” Elorde who has watched Arroyo train at the Elorde Gym told The Standard, Ancajas “has a big chance since its before a hometown crowd. He’s fast and hits hard. Arroyo is fast but Ancajas moves fast and hits hard. He did well in training. He should win by decision.”
McJoe Arroyo told The Standard “ I’m happy to be here. Everybody has been nice and I look forward to a good fight on Saturday night which should be packed since Senator Manny Pacquiao has ordered the fight would be free to the public.
McJoe Arroyo informed us that he had trained for two months since his injury and had “to take some time off.”
He commended Ancajas as “a great fighter and a slick southpaw but we should be able to win” adding “I try to do my best in the ring. I’ll fight if I have to fight and d box if I have to, banking on my Olympic experience which had definitely helped what I have learned.”
Arroyo mentioned that he had travelled around the world and has “a little bit of everything.”
Arroyo’s game-plan is “to see how he comes, see how styles clash. I always train for a great fight and think my opponent comes 100 % ready. The goal is to stay champion.”
We spoke to Ancajas and he told us he hadn’t even watched a fight tape of Arroyo which is considered unusual for a challenger preparing for a title fight.
Internationally known promoter and matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz who won the purse bid for MP Promotions said that was his only role.
The Standard understands that Arroyo’s handlers didn’t wish to fight in Manila because of the purse which was only $25,000 for both boxers with the champion under current rules, entitled to 75% but that threatened with being stripped of the title and offered 90% of the purse he decided to take the fight which means that Ancajas would only receive $2,500 unless Pacquiao, out of his generosity adds to the purse of the Filipino challenger.