by Tamas Pradarics
Life can be difficult even for highly rated former champions in boxing. Pedro Guevara became the number one ranked pugilist in the light flyweight division after he stopped Japanese drama king Akira Yaegashi with a left hook to the liver for the vacant WBC title in December 2014. Less than a year later, however, the Mexican world champion faced unheralded Yu Kimura and had to leave his green-and-gold belt in the ’Land of the Rising Sun’ following a highly controversial decision.
Kimura handed the belt to gutsy Ganigan Lopez in his very first defense in the spring of 2016. Guevara (30-2-1, 17 KOs) was waiting for his just due shot to regain the title and even got a green light by the WBC in a mandatory fight against Lopez, whom Pedro had already beaten more than a year earlier in a title defense. Lopez, however, suffered a calf injury two weeks before the scheduled October title bout so the fight never took place.
Almost a year later Guevara is still searching for an opportunity to get back what he believes belongs to him. The guy with a target on his back for Pedro is now Japanese Ken Shiro who outpointed Lopez over twelve rounds in a close fight this past May.
The WBC made it clear right after Shiro captured the title that the first move by the new champion has to be a mandatory defense against Guevara. Though the torture of the Mazatlan, Sinaloa native boxer is scheduled to end soon, Pedro will barely feel comfortable regarding the current stance of his career until he is standing in the ring in front of the Japanese belt holder.
”The bout is still under negotiations. I can not wait to get it done. I want to step back into the ring as soon as possible to regain my belt,” said Guevara in a recent chat with BoxingScene.com.
”Hopefully it could be announced soon. Maybe in the coming weeks. I am waiting for the date now. It could either be in October in Japan or in December in Mexico. Of course, I would prefer to bring the Japanese guy here in my country.”
Pedro shows respect towards the Japanese belt holder, but he is also confident he has the tools to regain the WBC belt once he is in the squared circle facing the somewhat untested Shiro (10-0, 5 KOs).
”Shiro is the champion and he looks to be a solid fighter but we have the motivation and the experience to face him and beat him,” said the 28-year-old, who is so eager to get his shot that he has already done the better part of his preparation for his desired showdown against Shiro.
Guevara spent almost seven weeks in the Otomi Mountains in Mexico to help prepare his countryman Carlos Cuadras to his September 9 super flyweight WBC elimination contest against Juan Francisco Estrada that takes place at the StubHub Center in Carson, California. Pedro will also be present to support his buddy this coming Saturday.
”Of course, I will be there and support my friend Carlos Cuadras in this very important fight. We worked hard at Centro Ceremonial Otomi for this bout and he is definitely ready to give a great show for the fans,” said Guevara, who was not shy to give a quick and steady prediction for the anticipated all-Mexican showdown between Cuadras and Estrada.
”I am going with Cuadras. He prepared very well for this opportunity. And I dare to say he is going to win it by way of a knockout. Something I would also like to do to Ken Shiro soon.”
You can reach Tamas Pradarics at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @TomiPradarics.