Manny Pacquiao has made things official, as he confirmed confirmed on Tuesday that he is coming out of retirement to fight World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion Jessie Vargas in November.
The 37-year-old Filipino, who has won world titles in eight weight divisions, made the announcement after meeting with his promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank in Manila on Tuesday.
"Yes, the fight is on. I have agreed to a November 5 fight with reigning WBO welterweight champion Jessie Vargas," Pacquiao said in a statement. "Boxing is my passion. I miss what I'd been doing inside the gym and atop the ring."
After winning a unanimous decision against American Timothy Bradley in April, Pacquiao had said he would retire to focus on his political career.
Pacquiao was elected to the Philippine senate in May but even before taking office, he said he was open to fighting again.
"Boxing is my main source of income. I can't rely on my salary as public official. I'm helping the family of my wife and my own family, as well. Many people also come to me to ask for help and I just couldn't ignore them," he said.
The American 27-year-old Vargas (27-1, 10 KOs) said last week he was in talks with Pacquiao's camp to hold a fight in Las Vegas and Pacquiao's manager Michael Koncz confirmed a promotional tour for the fight would be held from September 8-10 in Los Angeles.
Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) said he would return to the Philippines straight after promoting the fight to keep up his political duties.
"My entire training camp will be held here in the Philippines so I can attend to my legislative works. This is my campaign promise and I'm determined to keep it," said Pacquiao.
During his previous stint as a congressman in Philippines the House of Representatives before being elected to the upper house, Pacquiao faced criticism for being among the top absentee lawmakers.