The big funding issue has been sorted out for the Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn rematch.
Over the weekend, the Brisbane City Council withdrew its financial support for the rematch.
The man who holds the purse strings, Lord Mayor Graham Quirk, told News Corp Australia that he wanted confirmation from promoters that Pacquiao had signed on for the fight before he commits to marketing the event.
It is believed the council spent over $1 million promoting the July fight where Horn won the world title. Horn shocked Pacquiao with a twelve round unanimous decision last month at the SunCorp Stadium in Brisbane - where the rematch is being targeted for a tentative date of November 11.
After Pacquiao had lost, there was confusion on whether or not Pacquiao would retire from the sport or exercise his rematch clause.
While Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, has stated on the record that his boxer is going forward with the rematch - the eight division world champion had not officially announced that he exercised his rematch clause or that he's fighting in November with Horn.
According to Fairfax Media, Quirk met with Horn's promoter Dean Lonergan of Duco Events to arrange a phone call with Arum to get confirmation regarding Pacquiao's future.
Quirk would later announce that Pacquiao would definitely be in Brisbane in 2017 for a rematch with Horn.
"This is now confirmed it will happen," Quirk said to Fairfax. "The details around a renewed contract will have to be worked through but given what I have no been advised today through Duko and Top Rank we are in a position now where Brisbane Marketing will be re-engaged to get involved in the negotiation plan.
"The good news is Manny Pacquiao will definitely be here to fight Jeff Horn this year It was a matter of Manny Pacquiao deciding whether he wanted to take up that clause in the contract to give a rematch in the event that he lost. Until today I have not had any confirmation that Manny is going to be a definite starter for this event.
"We know the end of the year is getting closer. We need a lead time if we're going to promote this event to its fullest. But I can now confirm out of America and New Zealand through both Top Rank and Duco that Manny Pacquiao will be here this year to fight."