By Elliot Foster
Marco Huck against Ovill McKenzie is off.
Boxing Scene was told by promoter Frank Warren’s office, just after midday BST on Tuesday, that “there will be an announcement shortly regarding the status of the fight.
The enquiry from ‘Scene to Queensberry Promotions came after Bild reported that the fight was in jeopardy.
And shortly after 12:15pm BST, a media release confirmed that the IBO cruiserweight title showdown, which was set for this Saturday (September 24) at the Festhalle Arena in Frankfurt, will have to be rescheduled.
McKenzie, the Derby-based Jamaican who goes by the ring moniker ‘The Upsetter’ and has a ring record of 25-12-1 (13 KOs), narrowly missed out on claiming a world title when he pushed former IBF ruler Victor Emilio Ramirez to a controversial draw in Argentina last October and has been forced to withdraw from this challenge through illness.
“I had been training harder than ever and was in the shape of my life,” McKenzie, who hasn’t fought since losing to Ramirez on foreign soil 11 months ago, said, “but unfortunately these things happen in boxing.
“I was ready to give the performance of my career and cause a real upset against a great champion [in Huck, whose ring record is 39-3-1, 27 KOs]. I strongly believe that I would have beaten Huck and brought the IBO belt back to England with me but it wasn’t to be.
“I am sorry to all of my fans who booked tickets, flights and hotels to watch me fight.
“Medical advice from health professionals cannot be ignored and I believe that we have made the correct decision to withdraw.”
An announcement regarding the potential rescheduling of the fight is expected to be made in due course.