Alexander Krassyuk, who co-promotes Oleksandr Usyk, says a fight with Anthony Joshua is going to happen this year - but exactly when the contest takes place is the big question still lingering.
Joshua, who holds the WBO, IBF, WBA, IBO world titles, was ordered by the World Boxing Organization to make a mandatory defense against Usyk.
However, the IBF have also issued an order - obligating Joshua to make a mandatory defense against Kubrat Pulev. And the IBF have given Joshua and Pulev until January 31 to reach an agreement.
It appears is the frontrunner to get his shot, but Eddie Hearn - who promotes Joshua and also co-promotes Usyk - is attempting to get clarification from the sanctioning bodies that Pulev is the next mandatory in line.
Should the WBO force their hand, and their belt becomes vacant, then Usyk will face the highest, available contender for the title.
Although there have been mentions about Usyk facing Dereck Chisora for the vacant title - that won't happen, at least for the belt.
If the WBO agrees that Pulev is next, then Usyk has no problem facing Chisora in a non-title bout. If they disagree on Pulev, then Usyk would likely fight Joseph Parker, ranked at number two, for the vacant title.
"Chisora is impossible for the title," Krassyuk told Sky Sports. "In case it turns out that the WBO title is vacant, Usyk will be happy to fight for it. And Joseph Parker is the highest available contender.
"Usyk will fight Joshua and this is a fact! The question is whether it happens in the next fight or the other. At this stage we [wait] for AJ's decision."
Parker's manager, David Higgins, has already stated that his boxer is more than willing to face Usyk for the vacant WBO strap. Parker had previously held the WBO title, but lost it to Joshua back in their 2018 unification bout.
"You could end up with a situation where you have Usyk fight Parker for the vacant title, which funnily enough is how Joseph became world champion. He fought Andy Ruiz Jr for the vacant title. History repeats," Higgins said.