Super bantamweight action hero Jesse Angel Hernandez has entered the IBF’s world rankings at #14 and is now gunning for their champion, Australia via Ireland’s TJ Doheny.
In the last year and a half, Hernandez (12-1, 7 KOs), a southpaw from Fort Worth, Texas, has turned in three sensational Showtime-televised performances.
In August 2017, he stopped then-undefeated Russian Vladimir Tikhonov in five rounds. Then in November 2017, he took the undefeated 0 of Batlimore’s Glenn Dezurn via unanimous decision. Finally, Hernandez cemented his status as a TV favorite with a thrilling split decision over the very game Ernesto Garza III in January of this year.
27-year-old Hernandez says he’s happy with his career trajectory, working with promoter Dmitriy Salita.
“The plan has always been to fight for a world title and become a world champion!” said Hernandez. “I beat several top-rated and world-rated contenders already and if I need to beat some more before I get my shot, it’s no problem. Knowing that I've cracked the top 15 lets me know that we are headed in the right direction and my time is coming. Whoever it is I fight, I know that I must be 100 percent ready. There are no easy fights at this level and I will continue to show that I am the best super bantamweight in the world.”
His promoter, Dmitriy Salita, says that Hernandez will have a great 2019.
“Jesse is one of the best and most exciting fighters in the super bantamweight division. His aggressive, exciting style and world-class body punching make him a real attraction in this environment. Jesse is a Mexican American with a growing fan base. The sky is the limit for him next year.”
On Friday, Nov. 30, at Hard Rock Event Center at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla., promoter Kris Lawrence and The Heavyweight Factory, in association with All Star Boxing, return with “Rumble at the Rock III.”
A stacked night of Florida boxing will feature Colombian Bantamweight Champion Yeison Vargas (17-0, 12 KOs) of Cartagena, Colombia taking on WBO Latino Bantamweight Champion Ricardo Espinoza (21-2, 18 KOs) in a 10-rounder for the WBO-NABO Championship.
In the 10-round welterweight co-main event, Derrieck Cuevas (18-0-1, 14 KOs) of Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, will face well-known Miami via Barranquilla, Colombia, veteran Breidis “Khanqueror” Prescott (31-14, 22 KOs).
Yeison Vargas, 28, goes by the ring name “El Mulo” and is the current Colombian Bantamweight Champion. He won the title in his last fight, a KO 2 over Mauricio Fuentes in April. In his three-year professional career, the undefeated Vargas has also held the Colombian Super Bantamweight Championship. He stands 5 feet 5 ½ inches tall and knocks out 71 percent of his opponents.
“I want to thank Kris Lawrence of The Heavyweight Factory and my manager, Angel, for putting this deal together for me,” said Vargas. “They call me the mule ‘El Mulo.’ I am an action fighter with concrete in my fists. I respect Ricardo, but come Nov. 30, I’m going to knock him out on national television. Don’t blink.”
Ricardo Espinoza, 21, goes by the ring name “Hindu.” He will be looking to continue the momentum he started in his last fight by knocking out crowd favorite Daniel Lozano in two rounds last August in Tampa. The nationally televised destruction of Lozano won him the WBO Latino Bantamweight title. Espinoza stands 5 feet 7 inches tall and knocks out 78 percent of his opponents.
“I am coming to Florida once again to show the world that Mexico is above Colombia in boxing, and I am coming to take his undefeated record away,” said Espinoza. “I want to become a household name and shine on Telemundo. I want to thank All Star Boxing and The Heavyweight Factory for putting me on this stage. I will not disappoint. Vargas is going down.”
“I’d like to thank Seminole Hard Rock Hollywood and our friends at All Star Boxing and Boxeo Telemundo,” said Heavyweight Boxing Promoter Kris Lawrence. “We’re very excited to be back home here at the Hard Rock Event Center for our last show of the year. It has been a great year of boxing in South Florida, and I hope the fans enjoy this great event. 2019 will be a great year for boxing.”
“I’m happy to be working with Tutico and Ruben, they are my dear friends,” said Henry Rivalta, Director of Boxing Operations for the Heavyweight Factory. “In this business, we have to work together for the betterment of the sport. The fights are action packed as usual, and we expect a sold-out arena come Nov. 30. I’d like to thank Kris Lawrence for his support of boxing in our community.”
Tickets cost $500, $200, $150 and $100. All seats are reserved and available at all Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.myhrl.com, www.ticketmaster.com or charge by phone: 1-800-745-3000. Explore the new Hard Rock Event Center with a 360-degree virtual seat map of the venue at www.myhrl.com. Doors open one hour prior to show start time. Additional fees may apply.
Zach Parker suffered a dislocated left shoulder and tears to his rotator cuff, labrum and subscapularis during his British title win over Darryll Williams on November 3 at The SSE Hydro in Glasgow, and will undergo surgery this week to repair the damage.
Parker sustained the injury at the end of the second round and was forced to box with one arm for the remainder of the contest as he edged out Williams in a competitive fight to claim the Lonsdale belt via split decision.
“The pain was awful," said Parker. "I’ve never felt anything like it before, but with the guidance of my trainers Errol Johnson and Paul Mann, I grit my teeth, kept my calm and boxed smart.
“There was never any question I would quit. That’s not in my nature. Obviously, it was killing me, but I couldn’t pull out of the fight of my life. I’ve been waiting for this opportunity for a long time and I wasn’t going to give it up.
“Considering I only had one arm and I was limited to what I could throw, I was pleased with my performance. I couldn’t throw combinations like I wanted to. I had to be smart and know when to stand and fight and when to move.”
Parker's treatment and rehabilitation will be overseen by leading UK shoulder specialist Len Funk and former Manchester City physio Jamie Murphy.
The 24 year-old is expected to be out of action until April next year, but has already stated he is happy to give Williams a rematch when he returns.
“Most definitely,” says Parker. “I told Williams after the fight we should have a rematch because it was really close. It would be another good fight for the fans and this time I would be 100 percent with two hands.”
A sentiment shared by his manager Neil Marsh, who said: “We have absolutely no issue giving Williams a rematch. Zach Parker is an elite level fighter. It was a very close fight with one hand, but with two hands, there’ll be no question.”
Promoter Nisse Sauerland has praised Parker's bravery and says he is proud for the Derbyshire man to become Team Sauerland’s first British Champion.
“Zach showed a real warrior’s heart on Saturday in Glasgow,” said Sauerland. “To fight the way he did with only one arm was impressive. Even more so now we know the extent of the damage. I’m extremely proud of his performance and proud of him becoming Team Sauerland’s first British Champion.”