By Miguel Rivera
Triple world champion Fernando 'Kochulito' Montiel is not very happy with the news of Abner Mares challenging Argentine slugger Jesus Cuellar for the 'regular' featherweight title of World Boxing Association.
The fight was officially announced by Showtime on Friday for a date of June 25th.
For months, Montiel was scheduled to face Mares and the bout was going to take place today. The card was postponed when Keith Thurman, who was set to face Shawn Porter in the main event, withdrew with an injury.
Thurman-Porter was rescheduled for the previously mentioned June date. Mares was kept on the card, but now with Cuellar in the other corner.
After the date of March 12th was canceled, Montiel was still expecting to face Mares and was waiting to receive word of a new date.
Montiel was stunned over the news of Mares-Cuellar - which he found out through social media.
"I'm shocked, unfortunately I learned about this through the social networks. I've been trying to communicate with Zanfer for a confirmation, but right now I can say that I am disappointed because I assumed that they would give me a new date for the fight with Mares," Montiel told ESPN Deportes.
"Nobody told me anything, I know that maybe Mares does whatever his promoter tells him. I know he had the willingness to face me. I know that he has respect for me as I would have for him, and I think this situation is more of a matter dealing with the promoter."
"I hope I get a good fight, on the same level as the one that was planned with Mare. Hopefully I will get a good opportunity, because two weeks ago I was told that the fight is postponed, to keep training, and then I get this note [about Mares fighting someone else]. I hope [Zanfer] gets me something good."