By Rick Reeno
Golden Boy Promotions CEO, Richard Schaefer, already has a contingency plan in place - in the event IBF junior middleweight champion Carlos Molina is unable to fight on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Molina is scheduled to defend his title against undefeated Jermall Charlo as part of the Saul Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo Showtime Pay-Per-View.
As reported earlier, Molina was arrested in Las Vegas on Tuesday in connection to a pair of warrants out of the state of Wisconsin. Molina is facing a warrant from January 2007 by one jurisdiction in Wisconsin with failing to register as a sex offender, and also has an open warrant from another jurisdiction dating back to 2005 on a charge of misdemeanor disorderly conduct, Yahoo Sports scribe Kevin Iole reported.
In 2002, Molina pleaded no contest to a charge of second-degree sexual assault of a child.
Schaefer told BoxingScene.com that Molina is still being held by the Clark County Detention Center in connection to an immigration issue.
If Molina is unable to go forward, then Schaefer will elevate the lightweight bout between Ricardo Alvarez and Sergio Thompson to the pay-per-view card.
"I was told he was out of jail, but on my way here [to the final press conference at the MGM] I was informed that he was back in. There is some immigration issue now. I'm not his promoter. It is up to his promoter to take of this. I was told by [Molina's lawyer] Leon Margules that he is working on it. Molina wants to fight. He is fired up. Charlo is aware of what's going on. We are going to give it until the weigh-in. If Molina is out, then we are going to move up Ricardo Alvarez and Sergio Thompson, which is a great fight and I think it might even be an enhancement," Schaefer said.
Alvarez was originally scheduled to face WBC champion Omar Figueroa, who last week withdrew with a hand injury.
ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (58)