Former three division champion Mikey Garcia (37-0, 30 KOs) says he is still very interested in moving up to the junior middleweight division for a showdown with Puerto Rican superstar Miguel Cotto (41-5, 33 KOs).
Cotto, a four division champion, is hoping to stage the final fight of his career in December.
And Cotto's target was the winner of last Saturday's fight between Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez - but the middleweights went to a controversial draw and they are now being lined up for a rematch in 2018.
With those two fighters out of the running, Cotto needs a high profile dance partner.
Garcia, who last fought in July with a dominating win over Adrien Broner at 140-pounds, is ready to become that opponent.
“I would really go to 154 [pounds] in [December] for Cotto,” Garcia told the Los Angeles Times. “I might be hot enough for the [Cotto] fight."
Eric Gomez, President of Golden Boy Promotions, who handle Cotto, have interest in the fight.
“I’ve seen what Mikey has said on social media and would like to know more. Mikey knows how to contact me,” said Gomez to the paper.
Gomez is not worried about the issue of networks. Garcia is very tied in with Showtime, while Cotto has been fighting for the last few years on HBO.
“Let’s see if we can get a deal done and then we’ll get to that," Gomez said.
Cotto was in action last month, when he captured the vacant WBO junior middleweight title with a lopsided twelve round decision over Yoshihiro Kamegai at the StubHub Center in Carson, California. It was Cotto's first bout since losing a decision to Canelo in November 2015.
Garcia, who still holds the WBC lightweight title, has a lot of options. For the right fight, he's ready to fight anyone at 135, 140 or even the welterweight limit of 147.