By Miguel Rivera
Former four division world champion Miguel Angel Cotto will be working in partnership with Golden Boy Promotions for his bout with Japanese junior middleweight contender Yoshihiro Kamegai, according to Miguel Cotto Promotions Executive Hector Soto.
As reported a few days ago, Cotto parted ways with his promoter of the last few years, Roc Nation Sports. Cotto signed a three fight agreement with them in early 2015, and there was one fight remaining on the deal - with Kamegai.
"We are talking to Golden Boy to make the fight (with Kamegai). We look forward to announcing the plan on Monday. Everything was friendly. Miguel is going to make a statement about it," Soto told reporter Jose Sanchez.
Kamegai was scheduled to be the last of the three fights that Cotto was going to do under Roc Nation, but they couldn't reach an agreement on the money. Their deal guaranteed Cotto a minimum purse of $10 million per fight - which Roc Nation felt was too high for that fight and Cotto was unwilling to fight for any less than his guarantee.
Sources told Sanchez that Roc Nation reached a deal with Cotto to buy out the remainder of his contract for an undisclosed sum.
Cotto had already been training in Los Angeles and was working with Freddie Roach at the renowned trainer's Wild Card Gym.
However, last Saturday Cotto returned to Puerto Rico to attend the fourth year graduation of his eldest daughter, Alondra.
"Miguel is now going to take two weeks off and then go back to training ," Soto said.
Although there is no official date or venue, Cotto-Kamegai could land in Los Angeles on a date in August. Kamegai is contractually tied to Golden Boy Promotions, whose headquarters are in that city.
When he was competing as a free agent, Cotto had staged two fights under Golden Boy's banner - with bouts against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Austin Trout in 2012.