By Miguel Rivera
The controversial draw between Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin will not force Puerto Rican star Miguel Cotto to look in another direction in finding an opponent for the final bout of his career.
Bryan Perez, a spokesman for Miguel Cotto Promotions, said that the World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior middleweight champion (154 pounds) is holding firm on his intentions to make one last fight on December 2 and, in turn, acknowledged that the result of last Saturday is an impediment for the Puerto Rican to face Alvarez or Golovkin.
"We will go with plan C. Fortunately, Miguel enjoys options and it is a question of finding the best alternative for him. Out of those names (Alvarez and Golovkin), others have been mentioned and we are going to decipher the best formula to have a high event," Perez told Carlos Gonzalez.
Cotto was ringside on Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, watching Canelo and Golovkin go to a twelve round draw.
The Puerto Rican four division world champion was hoping to face the winner of that bout, but they are more interested in facing each other in a rematch, which potentially may happen in May.
During his time in Las Vegas, Cotto spoke to executives at Golden Boy Promotions about possible alternatives.
"The result of the fight does not alter the plans. We have discussed different options and we will concentrate on deciphering which is the best road for Miguel. We have no doubts that something will come out this week," said Perez.
He noted that New York and Puerto Rico remain under consideration for Cotto to close his career in boxing.
"That is under discussion within the possible scenarios," Pérez concluded.
Cotto was in action last month in Los Angeles, where he defeated Yoshihiro Kamegai to capture the WBO title.