The Danish talent claimed the WBC International belt with an impressive points victory over Julio Cesar Dos Santos (27-4, 24 KOs) last month at the Arena Nord in Frederikshavn. ‘’That was an important fight for me,’’ said Nielsen. ‘’Dos Santos was a tough opponent but I proved that I’m a level above.
‘’Now, I’m ready for the next challenge. I want to keep improving and keep developing as a boxer. To do that, I must fight the best guys in the division. I believe I have the ability to become a world champion. I’m ready to take another step forward on May 2.’’
The next step for the Albertslund-boxer is a title defence against Felix ‘Bad News’ Cora Jr. The American southpaw is a former USBA and NABF Champion who rose to fame with his appearance in the Sylvester Stallone fronted reality television series ‘The Contender’.
‘’Cora Jr. is in for a shock if he thinks he is going to beat me,’’ said the 22 year-old. ‘’He had better be ready for the toughest fight of his life because no one is taking this title away from me. I’m undefeated, I’m the champion and the belt is staying in Copenhagen.’’
Promoter Nisse Sauerland has warned Nielsen to keep his cool as the young southpaw prepares for his first major title defence. ‘’Micki is the hometown fighter, he is the champion and he has it all to lose,’’ said Sauerland.
‘’He will need to stay focused and not let the occasion go to his head. Cora Jr. is an experienced fighter, a tricky southpaw, who will look to unsettle Micki and exploit any weaknesses. This is a big test for Micki and one he must pass to prove he’s ready to challenge for world honours.’’
Nielsen vs. Cora Jr. is the second championship fight confirmed for the Nordic Fight Night on May 2 at the Frederiksberg-Hallerne in Copenhagen. Klara Svensson (15-0, 5 KOs) challenges Erica Annabella Farias (21-1, 10 KOs) for the WBC Female World Light Welterweight title. All the action will be shown live on TV3 and TV3 Sport channels in Denmark. Tickets are available via billetlugen.dk.
Tags: Micki Nielsen