By Miguel Rivera
He has waited patiently for the opportunity to make a mandatory defense against Filipino Jerwin Ancajas (24-1-1, 16 KO). On July 18, it marked a year since McJoe Arroyo conquered the 115-pound world title of the International Boxing Federation (IBF).
Since then he has waited patiently for the opportunity to make a mandatory defense against Ancajas. There was date set in April but the fight was postponed due to a hand injury suffered by the Fajardo native. But today a new date has emerged.
"There existed the possibility that it would take place at the end of July, but no agreement was reached. It is being worked on for maybe the 6th or 13th of August. We keep training for when a date is finalized," said Arroyo to Carlos Gonzalez.
In fact, Arroyo had hoped to get an agreement for July 30 in New York during the event that will have Leo Santa Cruz and Carl Frampton collide at the Barclays Center.
"The date was attempted, but there was never a sure thing," said Arroyo (17-0).
When the fight against Ancajas was originally scheduled for April, Arroyo suffered a left hand injury that forced him to postpone the fight. Meanwhile, the fight was auctioned and awarded to Sampson Lewkowicz, Ancajas' handler.
That did not sit well with Arroyo.
"No one was to represent me in the purse bid. To care for the champion you must go to the purse bid, but that's over. The rules say I get to 85% and the rest for the challenger. The problem is that the minimum is $25,000. I have to consider whether I should go to the Philippines to risk the title," said Arroyo.
In fact, the fighter did not hide his disappointment with the situation.
"You work hard to become champion and then make some defenses for best money to secure the future, but it is an uphill struggle. We want to fight, but everything is difficult," he lamented.