By Lem Satterfield
Golden Boy Promotions CEO, Richard Schaefer, told BoxingScene.com that he is continuing to remain in contact with unbeaten, six-time titlist Floyd Mayweather, both socially as well as from a business standpoint, although he would not reveal what has been talked about during their mutual conversations.
Golden Boy Promotions has worked Mayweather's past four victories comprised of those over De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez and Shane Mosley.
Starting with De La Hoya, Mayweather's adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, once said that Mayweather "has made over $120 million."
Still, fans in boxing have been clamoring for a megabout between the 33-year-old Mayweather (41-0, 25 knockouts) and the 32-year-old Manny Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs), this, even as Pacquiao has a May 7 defense of his WBO welterweight title opposite 39-year-old Shane Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
"I have a very good relationship with Floyd Mayweather," said Schaefer. "But I'm not going to go and talk about what we've been discussing."
Schaefer said that he has seen Mayweather a number of times recently, including during southpaw Victor Ortiz's unanimous decision victory that dethroned previously unbeaten Andre Berto as WBC welterweight titlist on April 16 at the Foxwoods Resort in Mashantucket, Conn.
"I saw him at the Ortiz-Berto fight when he was sitting right next to me. I saw him again last Friday at the Lil Wayne concert. But I'm not going to discuss publicly the conversations that we are having," said Schaefer.
"I have always been in contact with his team, and we are friends. That's no surprise," said Schaefer. "You know, there will be a time and a place for that, but that time and that place are not now."