By Ryan Burton
On Saturday evening Matthew Macklin (30-5) bounced back from his June knockout loss to Gennady Golovkin by defeating Lamar Russ (14-1) via unanimous decision in a bout televised by HBO. After the fight Macklin said he was happy to get back in the winner's column but felt he was trying to hard to get a knockout.
"I think I was forcing things a little bit too much. I was forcing things too much instead of setting up traps. I was loading up on my punches too much," Macklin stated.
Earlier in the day Felix Sturm (39-3) captured the IBF middleweight title by stopping Darren Barker in two rounds. Sturm won a controversial split decision over Macklin on June 25th, 2011. When asked who he wants next, Macklin said he has his sights firmly set on a rematch.
"I want Felix Sturm. No doubt about it. I beat the crap out of him a couple years ago. Everyone saw that. The fight was on Epix. If he is the man he says he is he will give me the rematch," Macklin stated while also saying that he is willing to againn travel to the German's backyard despite the controversial loss.
"I would love to fight him here in New York but I don't know if that is possible. I beat him in Germany before and I will beat him again," Macklin told BoxingScene.com.
Send questions or comments to [email protected]. You can follow Ryan on