Rebuttal Of Former Malta Boxing Commission President’s Claims
On Friday last week a statement was issued by Malta Boxing Commission Limited’s Director and Vice President Gianluca Di Caro regarding the relieving of Alex Zammit of his position as President of the Malta Boxing Commission, for his disregarding of due diligence undertaken for two license applications, as well as the holding of a special general meeting, at which appointments to the commission were made as well as licenses issued, without informing various members of the board, including the aforementioned Mr Di Caro.
On Sunday evening Mr Zammit issued a statement, on the Malta Boxing News website that he owns, which has since been distributed wider, stating that it was Mr Di Caro that was being relieved of his duties as Vice President.
Today Mr Di Caro reacted to this statement, “I find it highly disappointing that Mr Zammit is continuing to both deny the fact of his legal removal from his honorary role as the President of the Malta Boxing Commission, as well as his attempts to discredit my position and name, with an absurd collection of misleading and false statements within the tirade of e.mail abuse sent to myself, which he had CC’d to the European Boxing Union and British Boxing Board of Control, as well as within the statement published on his Malta Boxing News website and other boxing websites.
Mr Zammit and myself jointly formed the Malta Boxing Commission in 2011, from that date I have fully supported Mr Zammit, in his role of President, even though at times I disagreed with some of his actions.
Earlier this year I continued to whole heartedly support Mr Zammit, even though he had put the very existence of the Malta Boxing Commission at risk by undertaking a personal vendetta against several well known members of the Maltese Boxing Community, which ultimately lead to Mr Zammit, and two other members of the MBC, being arrested on suspicion of conspiring to murder one of these men, a charge that was eventually dropped after many months of investigation.
However, following further personal vendettas, including one against myself, following my officially stating that he must not ignore the findings of the due diligence I had undertaken for two license applications, as well as his failing to inform me, and another senior Malta Boxing Commission official, of a special general meeting, where key appointments were made as well as licenses issued, I had no option but to use my position as the sole Director of Malta Boxing Commission Limited to relieve Mr Zammit of the role of President.
At this point, I feel that is all that needs to said on the matter, except to say that it is hoped that a statement will be issued in the very near future, regarding the appointment of the new President of the Malta Boxing Commission.
Hopefully once that is done Professional Boxing will finally get the chance to fully establish itself in Malta, which is and always has been the intention of myself and the Malta Boxing Commission.”
RICKY HATTON is amazed at the progress made by Martin Murray in just five years as a professional boxer.
Domestic rivals Darren Barker and Matthew Macklin have been fighting professionally for eight years and 11 years respectively, but appear to be running from their less experienced rival.
Murray (24-0-1) will be in title action at Manchester Arena on Saturday November 24 against a selected opponent – his 12 rounder one of several big supporting contests when Hatton makes his comeback against Vyacheslav Senchenko.
Hatton said: “I am over the moon with Martin Murray.
“When you look at his domestic rivals Matthew Macklin and Darren Barker from an experience point of view, he has reached their level with far less experience.
“That shows natural talent on Martin’s side.
“We sat down with Matchroom on a number of times to try and make the Darren Barker fight.
“Unfortunately Darren has been injured a number of times and that is something we will go back to.
“We thought we made the Macklin fight. We asked them what they wanted, they told us and the fight still didn’t happen.
“I think Martin is the most feared middleweight in Britain. He has been British and Commonwealth champion, drawn in a world title fight and done all that in record breaking time compared to his other rivals.
“We have tried to make fights. Martin Murray said, ‘yes’ to everything but it is Darren and Matthew who haven’t said ‘yes’.
“Next year will be big for Martin and he will get his just rewards.”
On the same bill there is world title action when Scott Quigg (24-0-1) meets Rendall Munroe (24-2-1) in a vacant interim WBA super-bantamweight title return match. Their summer showdown ended in a technical draw after three rounds because of Munroe’s cut right eye.
Sergey Rabchenko (21-0) defends his European light-middleweight crown against Frenchman Cedric Vitu (35-1), and Gary Buckland (26-2) risks his British super-featherweight title against local idol Stephen Foster Jr (30-3-1).
Also in action are Hatton Promotions hopefuls Ashley Theophane (32-5-1), James Dickens (12-0), Adam Etches (9-0) and Scott Jenkins (6-0) and Sam O’Maison (3-0).
The Irish Amateur Boxing Association have named two squads for the 2012 European Women’s Youth & Junior Championships in Wadyslawowo, Poland.
The Championships, the 4th in the edition, begin at 2pm (Irish time) next Sunday (November 4th) at the Olympic Sport Centre.
The weigh-in will take place between 6am and 8am (Irish time) followed by the draw – between 10 and 11am (Irish time) – on Sunday.
Belfast bantamweight Christine Gargan claimed a silver medal at the 2010 European Women’s Junior Championships in Sangatte, France and will box in the Youth event in Poland.
“We will be pleased to welcome young Women athletes at the fourth edition of these Championships, which will crown this historic year for Women’s boxing with the first Olympics ever for Women boxers, said Humbert Furgoni, Preisdent of the EUBC.
“We wish to all participants a lot of boxing achievements and hope that this event will be one of the steps in their successful boxing careers.”
Youth: 45-48kg, 51kg, 54kg, 57kg, 60kg, 64kg, 69kg, 75kg, 81kg, +81kg.
Junior: 46kg, 48kg, 50kg, 52kg, 54kg, 57kg, 60kg, 63kg, 66kg, 70kg, 75kg, 80kg, +80kg
Number of rounds
Four (4) rounds of two (2) minutes, one (1) minute rest between rounds.
Three (3) rounds of two (2) minutes, one (1) minute rest between rounds.
The Irish squads depart for Poland on Saturday morning.
2012 European Women’s Youth and Junior Championships
Irish Youth squad
48kg:Hanna Cartha (Paulstown BC)
51kg:Oliwia Samsanow (Old School BC)
54kg:Christine Gargan (St Georges BC)
57kg:Lycia Hennihan (Ballinrobe BC)
60kg:Kayleigh Murrihy (Kilfenora BC)
69kg:Aoife Hennigan (Swinford BC)
Irish Junior Squad
48kg:Kristin O’Hara (Emerald BC)
50kg:Nikita Casey (Nenagh BC)
54kg;Caoilinn McCormack (Kilfenora BC)
57kg:Amy Broadhurst (Dealgan BC)
60kg:Siadhbh Green (Ballinacarrow BC)
64kg:Austeja Auciute (Finn Valley BC)
69kg:Sally Carrig (Ennis BC)
75kg:Niamh Folan (Connemara BC)
Team Manager: Maura Campbell (South Meath)
Coaches: John McCormack (St Saviours OBA), Damien Walsh (Holy Family GG)
Delegate for the European Women’s Commission Meeting: Anna Moore (St Francis)
BoxNation Schedule for 2012
The BoxNation live boxing schedule for the remainder of 2012 has taken shape over the last few weeks. Highlights include the pro boxing debut of Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff, Nathan Cleverly defending his WBO title in America and Ricky Burns headlining a blockbuster British bill on December 15th.
Thursday 1st - Junior Witter v Frankie Gavin
Saturday 3rd - Marco Huck v Firsat Arslan
Friday 9th - Paul Butler v John Donnelly
Friday 9th - Ovill McKenzie v Enzo Maccarinelli
Saturday 10th - Nathan Cleverly
Saturday 10th - Abner Mares v Anselmo Moreno
Saturday 17th - Antonio DeMarco v Adrien Broner
Saturday 24th - Robert Guerrero v Andre Berto
Saturday 24th - Sharif Bogere v Richard Abril
Friday 30th - David Price v Matt Skelton
Friday 30th - Freddie Flintoff
Saturday 1st - Austin Trout v Miguel Cotto
Saturday 15th - Ricky Burns v Liam Walsh
Saturday 15th - George Groves v Glen Johnson
Saturday 15th – Billy Joe Saunders v Nick Blackwell