Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Margules on Withdrawing George From The Andrade Bout

By Jake Donovan

Promoter Leon Margules knew to expect immediate backlash from the moment he made the decision to pull Donovan George out of his scheduled fight from Librado Andrade.

That doesn’t make the veteran fight personality feel any different on the subject, even after having time to think about it since Saturday’s fallout.

“There is no reasonable standard under which a 15’ ring is accepted,” Margules insisted while explaining the reasons for telling his fighter to not go through with Saturday’s main event in Cozumel, Mexico. The decision was made mere hours before the fight, leaving the fans on hand – as well as both fighters involved – disappointed over the change in main events.

As this goes to print on Monday afternoon, Margules is still troubled over the thought of tears forming in George’s eyes when he was told that he wouldn’t be able to fight. Gone were month of training for what was undoubtedly the biggest opportunity of his young career to date, just for his trip to Mexico to turn into a full vacation, rather than being afforded the opportunity to mix business with pleasure.

The promoter is well aware that had he left it solely up to his fighter, that there would have been a fight that night. But he firmly believes that it’s his job as a promoter to protect his fighters in instances such as this, when he feels that his side isn’t being given a fair shake.

“We had a contract that says the fight would take place in a 20’ ring,” Margules told Boxingscene.com Monday morning. “When you have a contract from Golden Boy that says a 20’ x 20’ ring, you expect that to be the case when you show up to the venue. What can I do but protect my fighter?” 

The bout was to decide a mandatory challenger for the alphabet title currently held by Lucian Bute. Andrade has already twice fought the Canadian, losing by a decision in Oct. ’08 and then by body shot knockout 13 months later. The Mexican also came up short in a title bid against Mikkel Kessler in March ’07, when both fighters were unbeaten.

George (22-1-1, 19KO) has never had the chance to fight for a major title. The closest he’s ever come was in his only career loss to date, dropping a technical unanimous decision against Francisco Sierra in a regional title fight last July.

The Chicago-based super middleweight has since won two straight to work his way into title contention. A win against Andrade would’ve given the 27-year old contender the opportunity of a lifetime and by far his biggest payday to date.

Suffice to say, nothing at all was gained by George being forced to pull out of the fight, a fact not lost on his promoter when deciding to pull the plug. There also wasn’t much to be gained by accepting the fight in Mexico, but a term to which George’s team agreed for the sake of avoiding a purse bid and further issues.

“We had no problem taking the fight in Mexico,” Margules states. “We did that because we didn’t want the fight to go to purse bids, where if I was outbid and they won, that we’d have no rights. We agreed to terms such as fighting in Mexico, just because I wanted other provisions in the contract. One of them being a 20’ ring, which is what Donovan prepared for while training for the past few months.”

The insistence by the local promoter working on behalf of – but not on orders from – Golden Boy Promotions was that it was the only ring available. They used the same ring for a media workout session earlier in the week, but didn’t reveal at the time it would be the same ring used on fight night.

A concession offered by the promoter was to adjust the ring – one foot. But doing so would have extended the ropes to the edge of the ring apron, thereby creating a safety hazard. 

What wasn’t offered by anyone on hand was ownership in failing to live up to the contracted terms. This, more than anything else, is what troubled Team George, especially considering it was one of the few requests they made.

“They treated us well during our time there. They apologized,” Margules points out. “But somebody should be held accountable. If it was 18’ ring that was used, I’d have been disappointed, but would’ve still stood by and watch the fight happen. A 15’ ring isn’t anything other than a sparring ring. They’re big guys; even the ref (Earl Brown) is a big guy. That doesn’t leave any room for the fight.”

Those circumstances, left everyone without a fight, or at least the one the fans paid to see. 

“Donovan is disappointed. Financially for me it was a disaster. I advanced him funds for the fight and have to make good on the purse. It wasn’t a good night for me financially, but I did what thought was best for my fighter. It wasn’t about this fight, but the payday for the next fight. It’s the next fight that changes his life. I did what I thought was right.”

All parties will now have to wait out whatever decision is made by the International Boxing Federation (IBF), who sanctioned the scheduled eliminator. It’s possible that George is dropped from the rankings since Andrade was the one willing to fight. There also stands to reason that since the agreed upon terms weren’t honored by the local promoter, the contract becomes null and void and a new eliminator is reordered by the New Jersey-based sanctioning body. 

Whatever ruling is ultimately handed down, Margules firmly stands by the decision he made on Saturday and will do everything in his power to ensure that George is given another opportunity – whatever that may be – and under the fairest of terms.

“I haven’t been given a rational explanation as to why I should’ve let them fight. If I let them fight, it creates a situation where think they can abuse. It wasn’t easy, but I don’t regret the decision I made and would do it again in the same situation.”

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter at twitter.com/JakeNDaBox or submit questions/comments to [email protected]

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by BattleAxePurist on 12-19-2011

This would of been a decent fight if Andrade has anything left he would of prob walked George down anyway but can understand why they choose to not go forward if they were told 20, make it an FNF headliner…

Comment by JKidd2624 on 12-19-2011

Hard to fault Margules. You need a little more than that to fight a guy who is going to be hunting you down all night long like Librado Andrade.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (2)
Top Headlines Malignaggi: Lobov's MMA Fans F***ing Stupid, Made This Possible! Chad Dawson: In Tip-Top Shape I Can Beat Top Guys at 175! Top Rank, MTK Global Expand on Their Working Relationship Brad Solomon vs. Nav Mansouri Set, Crowley Out With Injury Caleb Plant: Mike Lee is Going To Sleep - This Won't Go Twelve! Pacquiao on Arum's Fears: God is Always There To Protect Me Eva Wahlstrom vs. Yareli Larios on UFC Fight Pass, 8/2, Las Vegas Anthony Joshua Reacts To Tyson Fury's Win Over Schwarz Andy Ruiz Backs Nathan Gorman in Daniel Dubois Showdown Frampton ESPN+ Headliner To Land At Philly's Liacouras Center Joseph Parker vs. Alex Leapai on Andrade-Sulecki Card Jamel Herring’s First Defense is Likely For Veteran's Day Weekend Miller: Expect AJ To Look Lot Stronger If Ruiz Rematch Is In UK Fury: Luis Ortiz Is 147 Years Old; Wilder Will KO Him Quicker Frank Warren: Joshua Should Regroup, Not Take Ruiz Rematch Josh Warrington Now Aims For Big Fights in The United States Video: Jeff Mayweather Reacts To Tyson Fury's Las Vegas Win Video: Shakur Stevenson on Fury's Vegas Win, Opponent Fallout Reflecting On My Father and His Love For Boxing Jarrell Miller in The Running To Face Tyson Fury Next? Wilder: Fury's Win Was 'OK' - Schwarz Was a Punching Bag Tyson Fury Makes The Most Out Of Schwarz Mismatch Arum: Fury-Wilder Rematch Might Match May-Pac PPV Numbers Video: Arum Talks Wilder-Fury Rematch, Fury's Win, More Video: Tyson Fury Talks Wilder Rematch, Schwarz Win, More Team Glowacki To File Official Protest Over Briedis KO Loss Video: Jamel Herring Reacts To Fury's Las Vegas Win, The Future Video: Tony Yoka Reacts To Fury's Las Vegas Win, The Future Stephen Smith Gets Another Win In Wythenshawe Shakur Stevenson Seeks New Opponent, Socarras Pulls Out Fury: I Think Me & Wilder Would Beat Ruiz Quite Comfortably Video: Kubrat Pulev Reacts To Fury's Win, Joshua-Ruiz, More Video: Frank Warren Talks Fury, Kovalev-Yarde, Dubois, More Video: Jarrell Miller Reacts To Fury's Win, Possible Top Rank Deal Video: Teofimo Lopez Reacts To Fury Win, Talks Wilder-Fury II Video: Terence Crawford Talks Spence Fight, Fury's Vegas Win Egorov, Romanov, Kashinskiy, Papin, Tishchenko Win in Russia Ilunga Makabu Stops Dmitry Kudryashov in Fifth of Fierce Fire Fight Dorticos Warns Briedis: I Always Come For The Knockout Jason Moloney: I Want To Fight Liborio Solis Next For WBA Title
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement