By Ryan Burton
An article that was recently published on BoxingScene.com stated that WBA featherweight champions Abner Mares and Leo Santa Cruz would not be facing each other as planned in the fall.
The WBA had canceled a purse bid when an agreement appeared imminent. The fight had been ordered by the sanctioning body in their effort to reduce their number of champions to one per division.
It has been reported that Santa Cruz's father and trainer wanted a tune-up bout prior to the rematch with Mares. Santa Cruz narrowly outpointed Mares when they faced each other for the first time in 2015 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.
BoxingScene.com and other reporters spoke with Mares after the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor weigh in Friday afternoon in Las Vegas.
"No name but we do have a date - October 14th. Like I said I was ready for Leo on October 7th. That was the day they were looking at but regardless whoever they put in front of me it is a fight away from the Leo fight," Mares explained.
The three-division champion said that it is likely that he and Santa Cruz will share the same card before facing each other in their highly anticipated rematch.
"It sounds that way. It sounds like we are both fighting on the same card. I don't know who is main event. I really don't care," Mares told BoxingScene.com.
As for the television outlet and venue, Mares said nothing is locked in yet.
"It's not confirmed yet but it looks like it will be on Fox. There is no venue but it looks like LA," said Mares.
Send questions or comments to email@example.com You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter