By Edward Chaykovsky
Michael Koncz, adviser to eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao, is very disappointed with Adrien Broner.
Koncz tabbed Broner as the frontrunner to face Pacquiao on November 5th at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
Earlier this year, Koncz had contacted Broner to inquire about his interest in facing Pacquiao. At that time, Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank derailed the fight because there was an ongoing lawsuit with Broner's adviser, Al Haymon. Pacquiao instead settled on a trilogy fight with Timothy Bradley.
The lawsuit between Arum and Haymon is over and the two of them are now committed to working together. This time Arum was on board to get Broner as the opponent, but he was unable to meet his financial demands.
“I lost a lot of respect for Broner. We gave him the opportunity to fight Manny and he outpriced himself,” Koncz said to the Los Angeles Times. “If you’re as good as some of these young guys think they are, jump at the opportunity to beat this guy. It’s disheartening.”
Koncz revealed on Wednesday that WBO welterweight world champion Jessie Vargas is the opponent of choice for Pacquiao's fight in November. WBC/WBO junior welterweight champion Terence Crawford was ruled out. Arum is meeting with Pacquiao on August 10 in the Philippines to wrap the deal up.
“We’re going to try to put together a fight that is the best economic package for Manny,” Koncz said. “Very simple.”