As BoxingScene.com reported on Wednesday, former four division world champion Mikey Garcia relinquished his World Boxing Council lightweight belt.
In his last fight, Garcia had moved up by two weight divisions to challenge IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence.
Spence dominated Garcia over the twelve round distance for a lopsided unanimous decision.
The World Boxing Council had been pushing Garcia to make a decision regarding his future in the lightweight division - and there was a mandatory order to face Olympic gold medal winner Luke Campbell.
The decision by Garcia could lead to a scenario where Campbell could challenge WBC, WBA lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko - with the bout taking place on a fall date in the UK.
“At the very least, we will explore it,” Lomachenko manager Egis Klimas told the Los Angeles Times.
“It’s a very good opportunity. In the UK, this fight will be huge. Campbell is well known there, and when we went to the UK to watch [Lomachenko’s close friend cruiserweight champion Oleksandr] Usyk fight, the people went crazy for ‘Loma.’ They love him.”
Garcia (39-1, 30 KOs) was declared the WBC’s emeritus champion - so if he ever decides to return to the lightweight division, he would have the option of securing a direct title shot at whoever is the current WBC champion. But there are many who doubt he'll ever come back to 135.
Garcia's next fight will likely take place at the junior welterweight limit of 140 - unless a big opportunity comes up at welterweight.
Klimas was hoping that Garcia would come back to 135, to fight Lomachenko in a three belt unification.
“Mikey’s already showed what he’s capable of doing – at 126 pounds, 130, 135, 140, 147 … but he also understands and sees that to beat Loma is not easy, and is a much bigger risk than fighting Spence,” Klimas said.