By Ronnie Nathanielsz
The International Boxing Federation [IBF] postponed its planned September 4 purse bid for the planned bout between No. 2 ranked Michael Farenas and No. 6 ranked Diego Magdaleno to September 16 after they received no bids for a scheduled eliminator for the No. 1 ranking and a mandatory challenger status.
IBF Championship Committee chairman Lindsey Tucker has informed former two division world champion Gerry Penalosa who handles Farenas that another purse bid has been set for September 16.
Farenas, the southpaw protégé of former two division world champion Penalosa hammered previously undefeated American Mark “Too Sharp” Davis to score a devastating 8th round TKO in what was billed as a title eliminator after which the IBF ruled that Farenas must fight top-rated Mexican contender Fernando Saucedo to earn a mandatory title shot.
The IBF claimed that Farenas’ victory over Davis did not guarantee him a title shot and that he would have to fight No. 3 contender Fernando Saucedo for the No.1 spot which would earn Farenas a mandatory title shot.
However, Saucedo is reportedly scheduled to face super featherweight champion Rances Barthelemy, the unbeaten Cuban with a record of 20-0 with 12 knockouts on September 27. Barthelemy won the title via a unanimous twelve round decision in a rematch against Argenis Mendez last July 10.
Penalosa told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard/Viva Sports he received an email from IBF Championship Committee chairman Lindsey Tucker sometime ago giving him three days within which to respond to the offer for Farenas who is ranked No. 2 to face the next available contender Magdaleno who is ranked No. 6 for the No. 1 ranking and a mandatory crack at the champion.
Penalosa said he accepted the challenge for the 29 year old Farenas who has a record of 39-4-4 with 31 knockouts to face the 27 year old Magdaleno who has a record of 26-1 with 10 knockouts.
Magdaleno is coming off an eight round unanimous decision over Oscar Bravo last May 17 following a 4th round knockout of Jorge Pazos on February 15.
Magdaleno, dropped a twelve round split decision to Roman Martinez in a title fight on April 6, 2013 after being dropped in the 4th round.
Penalosa exuded confidence that Farenas would win and said he would even offer to stage the Farenas-Magdaleno eliminator in Manila but indicated Farenas was “willing and available” to fight Magdaleno anywhere.
Meantime, Penalosa told the Standard that his protégé Farenas is “waiting for nothing and its unfair.”
However, Manny Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz said they are “trying to work things out so Farenas will get the Magdaleno fight.”