By Reynaldo "El Papi Chulo" Sanchez
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Cuban heavyweight contender Luis "The Real King Kong" Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs) has come on board with powerful adviser/manager Al Haymon.
And Ortiz is now scheduled to return to the ring on April 22, as part of the undercard to the Andre Berto vs. Shawn Porter welterweight eliminator from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Ortiz will face an opponent to be finalized. BoxingScene reported earlier that veteran Derric Rossy (31-12, 15 KOs) is under consideration to become the opponent.
The Cuban fighter is now more determined and more focused to continue his journey to a world title fight before the end of 2017.
Ortiz has promised to never keep his hands down. He intends to keep his hands up, throwing hard punches, from the sound of the first bell.
"Now more than ever, I must never lower my hands. I've been training with my team for a long time, and I'm ready to get into the ring at any time," Ortiz told ringsidefightingnews this afternoon.
Ortiz entered the ring last December 12 at the Manchester Arena in the UK, and stopped David Allen in seven rounds as part of the Anthony Joshua-Eric Molina undercard.
During 2017, several title possibilities have been discussed with respect to Ortiz. He hopes to have one of them materialize in the coming months. Ortiz is the mandatory challenger to the WBA title, which is up for grabs on April 29 between Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko.
Ortiz wants to get in the ring with WBO champion Joseph Parker, IBF champion Joshua or WBC champion Deontay Wilder, who like Ortiz is advised by Haymon.
"I am ready to fight for the world title against any champion, Joshua, Parker or Wilder. In April I hope to win that fight and then hopefully a fight will materialize for the world title," Ortiz said.
"I will not give anyone the chance to take me with my hands down. They should arrive ready to fight because I am ready for all of them."