As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Luis Nery, who failed to make weight ahead of his WBC bantamweight title match against Japanese challenger Shinsuke Yamanaka earlier this week, was suspended indefinitely by the World Boxing Council on Friday.
Nery was stripped of his world title on Wednesday, the day of the weigh-in for his maiden defense, and now will no longer be eligible to compete for a WBC title or appear in its rankings.
"I will accept (my punishment) but I want to fight for a belt again," Nery told reporters.
Nery weighed in at 123-pounds -- 5-pounds over the bantamweight limit. The Mexican was able to cut 2-pounds in a two-hour window but weighed too heavy again in his second attempt.
"For a bantamweight champion (118 pounds) to arrive at the official weigh-in 5 pounds over is simply unacceptable. The WBC is formally suspending Luis Nery indefinitely," the WBC said in a statement.
Japan Boxing Commission official Tsuyoshi Yasukochi welcomed the decision.
"Considering overweight cases in the past, the penalty imposed was quick and strong," said Yasukochi.
Akihiko Honda, the head of Yamanaka's Teiken gym, said Nery has been paid 30 percent of his purse from the fight, but the WBC made contact and advised that the gym hold off on paying the remainder of his winnings.
The 35-year-old Yamanaka said he intends to retire after Thursday's controversial bout at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan, where he failed to reclaim the now-vacant WBC bantamweight title with a second-round technical knockout defeat.
Last August, Nery denied Yamanaka a Japanese record-equaling 13th straight title defense, but a week later the WBC announced the newly crowned 23-year-old world champion had failed a pre-fight drug test, a result the boxer and his team claimed was due to food contamination.
Before the WBC ordered a rematch between the two boxers on Oct. 31, Yamanaka said he would hang up his gloves unless he was granted another shot at Nery.