By Chris McKenna, courtesy of The Daily Star
LUKE CAMPBELL is nearly set to face WBA lightweight champion Jorge Linares on September 23 in Los Angeles.
The London 2012 Olympic gold medallist against the Venezuelan banger would be a headline event in America.
Campbell, 29, has recovered from a surprise 2015 loss to Yvan Mendy with five wins on the bounce including his last victory over former champion Darleys Perez.
Linares, who is currently training in London, took the title from Anthony Crolla last year and then defended it in a rematch against the Manchester fighter in March.
The fight was ordered by the WBA last week but negotiations between both camps were already at an advanced stage and the Ring Magazine belt will also be on the line should the bout get signed.
Campbell’s promoter Eddie Hearn said: “Before it was ordered we were actually in negotiations.
“There is a very good chance that fight will take place on September 23 in LA.
“Campbell is 29, he has lost already, he has come back with a few wins. What more does he have to do?
“He beat Darleys Perez in his last fight, is there another level between Perez and Linares? Probably but they’re risky.
“So why not risk it all for the WBA and Ring magazine belt. It’s a massive opportunity for him.
“I told him he has nothing to lose, if he beats Linares then he has absolutely cracked it. If you don’t and have a great fight, then your name is still up there.
“He is really up for it and I think it will happen.”