By Yuri Tarantin
Khabib Allakhverdiev (19-1, 9KOs) has been waiting for this opportunity for a long time. The boxer has been inactive since suffering a controversial twelve round decision loss to Jessie Vargas last April as part of the Manny Pacquiao-Tim Bradley rematch at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
On October 3rd, Khabib will get the opportunity to regain the WBA 'regular' junior welterweight title that was lost to Vargas last year.
Khabib will collide with former three division world champion Adrien Broner (30-2, 22KOs) for the vacant belt.
He says his inactivity will not be an issue as he's been training and staying in shape this entire time.
Some experts are shocked that Broner, coming a loss, has accepted an opponent like Khabib who possesses a difficult boxing style.
At one point Khabib felt he would never fight again as countless opponents were rejecting proposals to face him, but Broner accepted.
"I have not been able to return to the ring and I am very pleased to once again compete for the title, which previously belonged to me," said Khabib.
"[My promoter] Vladimir Hryunov fulfilled his promise, and now I have the opportunity to prove to the world that I'm a true champion. For more than a year I've tried to keep myself in good shape, despite the fact that at some point I no longer believed that one day I would return to the ring. I would like to thank all of those who continued to believe in me, it is only thanks to your support that I did not leave boxing, and especially thanks to my brother and Hryunov."
"I am very pleased to be able to meet in the ring with Adrien Broner, because I think he is a worthy contender. I've been following his career and was very disappointed when he lost on points to Sean Porter on June 20. He, like me, deserves a chance to fight for the world title."
Yuri Tarantin covers boxing for Allboxing.ru