By Edward Chaykovsky
Kell Brook’s trainer, Dominic Ingle, has denied the recent rumblings that his fighter withdrew from a scheduled defense with Diego Chaves due to weight struggles.
The IBF welterweight title clash was all set to take place this coming Saturday night. Last week Brook withdrew from the contest and claimed that he suffered a rib injury during a sparring session. The injury took place during a sparring session with Russian contender David Avanesyan.
Chaves and members of his team were quickly on the attack, questioning the validity of the injury.
In the weeks leading up to the fight, there were some rumors of Brook potentially having weight issues and pulling out from the contest as a result. So when he actually withdrew, a firestorm erupted.
According to his coach, an official doctor’s report is going to their promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport and then a copy is being sent to the IBF.
Ingle told the Sheffield Star - “He has been training for 16 weeks and would not pull out without a legitimate reason. He’s spent £20-30,000 on training camp and partners so suggestions it was about his weight are rubbish. People like conspiracy theories but the truth is people aren’t getting paid because of this injury.”
“He looked fantastic [in sparring]; Kell was boxing his head off so the other kid went for a change of direction and went for the body and caught Kell in the third round. I have got a video of it. Kell seemed to be running out of gas but went another three rounds. He masked the pain and pasted the kid. But then he told me: ‘He’s done my ribs.’ When we went to the changing room I could a slight bump developing."