Cornelius Bundrage is ready for all comers after becoming the oldest man to ever win a light-middleweight title. The 41-year-old’s future looked bleak when he lost his IBF belt on points to Ishe Smith last year, but he regained the title with a unanimous decision victory over Carlos Molina in Cancun last Saturday night. Bundrage, who floored Molina twice in front of his home fans, is back amongst the big names in his division.
The Detroit fighter boosted his profile with an appearance on ‘The Contender’ reality television show - a winner takes all tournament with a large cash prize.
Bundrage reached the semi-finals and later halted Colin McNeil in a UK v US Contender challenge in Newcastle in 2007.
He told the Ringside Toe 2 Toe podcast: “The Contender gave me a lot of experience," he said. "It taught me the business of boxing and got me used to being on TV and it got me prepared for pressure fights, like the fight with Carlos Molina.
“That was a real big stage. If you win, you continue to fight. If you lose, you go home and you are embarrassed. We were all fighting for one prize, that $500,000.
“It was a lot of pressure fighting on the Contender. That prepared me for world championship fights.”
He enjoyed his visit to Britain and has not ruled out a return trip, but will need to overcome his hatred of flying.
“You know what, it can happen. Only thing is, I hate long airplane flights. That’s the only thing, but I wouldn’t mind fighting in the UK again," said Bundrage.
“I like fighting in the UK. When I fought over there, it was amazing. They treated me so nice.”