By Miguel Rivera
As previously reported, Juan Manuel Marquez (56-6-1, 39KOs) disputed claims that he plans to retire in 2012. Marquez wants to have a big 2012, with at least three fights. For the first time since 1994, Marquez will fight in Mexico City. He faces Argentine Cesar Cuenca (42-0, 1KO) on April 14th for the vacant WBO interim-junior welterweight title.
The WBO honored Marquez on Friday in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He received a special gold ring for his achievements in the ring.
"To me, [the WBO ring] is a source of great pride and motivation to continue my career. At the moment, I will not retire - at least not this year. I would have liked to have become a champion [at welterweight] last November [against Manny Pacquiao], but everyone saw [me as the] champion coming out of that fight with my hand raised," Marquez said.
After the fight in April, Marquez expects to return in July and then in November, and says the November date "could be against Pacquiao."