By Miguel Rivera
According to Hall of Fame trainer Nacho Beristain, former four division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez could finally return to the ring on June 24th in Toluca, Mexico.
Marquez (56-7-1, 40 KOs) has been out of the ring since May 2014, for nearly three years, when the veteran won a twelve round decision over former world champion Mike Alvarado.
Marquez has been training at the Romanza gym and preparing himself for a comeback. Nacho has been working very closely with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., who next week will face Saul "Canelo" Alvarez at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Marquez, 43 years old, has been discussing a potential ring return for the last two years. He's been plagued with a knee problem that was lingering even before his win over Alvarado.
Last year, there were serious discussions to fight former champion Miguel Cotto at a catch-weight. They were unable to reach an agreement on the weight. Cotto wanted the fight to take place closer to 150-pounds, while Marquez was not willing go above the welterweight limit of 147. The two boxers are still interested in facing each other - if they can work out the weight.
Nacho said he was notified of a date in June, but not in Mexico City like initially discussed. He was told the fight would take place in the nearby city of Toluca.
"That's what they told me, June 24 in Toluca. Marquez tells me that there is nothing certain, but it is looking very good. We have corrected some things and we will try to do big things," said Beristain to ESPN Deportes.
"Juan Manuel is a fighter who needs very little time to show his best, he's been training. I left him a plan or work and now that I saw him I was simply pointing out some details, but he's been doing very well, especially in the precision of his work."