By Elliot Foster
Anthony Joshua is aiming to write his name in the books of heavyweight history when he takes on Wladimir Klitschko next year.
The IBF king, who dismantled Inter-Continental champion and number eight-ranked challenger Eric Molina inside three rounds last Saturday at Manchester Arena, will take on the Ukrainian at Wembley Stadium.
Joshua’s clash with Klitschko will take place on April 29, with Sky Sports Box Office airing the fight exclusively in the UK.
RTL will pay nearly £4million into the promotion to be handed the exclusive rights to screen the showdown in Germany.
And the 27-year-old believes that the fight, which Klitschko described as ‘signature’ for both fighters, is one which can propel him to new heights.
“To win [this fight] in whichever way is very possible,” Joshua told press on Wednesday. “This fight is not a problem for me, it’s just a clash of the titans.”
Joshua goes into the fight against the 40-year-old (64-4, 53 KOs) at the national stadium with a ring record of 18 wins from 18 contests, with all 18 coming inside the distance.
“This is a fight that can change you from champion to legend overnight. It’s a fight that can bring the masses out, attract massive attention and can change you in an instant.
“A knockout in this fight, however, would be the cherry on top. This is history, it’s an amazing opportunity to be fighting here at Wembley and the time is now.
“I need to start building my reputation as a major player in the heavyweight division and cementing my legacy within the sport.”
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn said last week, after the fight was announced for the Watford man’s belt and the vacant WBA Super and vacant IBO straps, that the US broadcaster has not been confirmed yet due to the pair having different deals.
Joshua has a contract to have his fights screened Stateside on Showtime, while Klitschko has historically fought on HBO.
Hearn also revealed that the Ring Magazine bauble could be up for grabs in the clash between Joshua and Klitschko.
“This is one of the stages, the platforms, that you simply can't dream of,” Joshua continued.
“I just have to put my head down, prepare for a tough 12-round fight, say my prayers and hope that I come out winner on the night against somebody [in Klitschko] who I respect massively and take a lot of inspiration from as a man out of the ring.”
IN OTHER NEWS
Rocky Fielding has signed a new managerial deal.
The super-middleweight contender, from Liverpool, is the current holder of the WBC International title.
Fielding (23-1, 13 KOs) was last in action on October 15, exclusively live on Sky Sports, when he ousted Istvan Zeller inside two rounds at the ECHO Arena.
And the former Commonwealth champion, who was drilled inside a round by Callum Smith in November, 2015 when the pair met for the vacant British crown will now be on the hunt for big fights.
It was thought that the 29-year-old would be out again before the end of the year, but he recently said on social media that he will not return until 2017.
When his next fight does come around, it will be with the backing of MGM Marbella, with whom he has signed a management contract.
Matthew Macklin, of the Puerto Banus-based outfit, will work alongside trainer Oliver Harrison and promoter Eddie Hearn in the guidance of Fielding’s career from this point on.
"I think this will be great for my career,” said Fielding, who is planning an assault on the world scene in the new year.
“I know MGM will get me the fights that I need to get to a world title and I'm really excited to be a part of the team.
“I'm looking to get out early in 2017, being busy and staying active. I want to be in a position where I'm challenging for a world title and I believe I'm only one or two fights away from that.”
The management team at the organisation are delighted with the capture of Fielding and believe that they are the team to carry him forward into big fights next year.