By Salvador Rodriguez
Former four division world champion Jorge Arce (64-8-2, 49KOs), 35-years-old, is retiring from boxing and says this time it's for good. He retired in 2012 after suffering a knockout loss to Nonito Donaire but returned last year with a brand new campaign to captured another world title.
On Saturday night, in his hometown of Los Mochis in Mexico, Arce got his chance and he was stopped in eleven rounds by WBC featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez. Arce lasted much longer than anticipated but he took punishment, went down several times and eventually the referee stopped the fight.
"It was the most beautiful night of my entire life, in my home with my people. I obviously have accumulated [the physical effects of] age, the battles that I've had. Jhonny was bigger and stronger, the risk was big but I am a warrior. They told me that I was going to get knocked out worse than Ábner Mares. I went to the war, I took good shots, I lasted. The people were excited and this is what is important. I asked God to allow me to end my career with dignity. Today I am going with my head held high. I never let the people down, I always had wars and here I am," Arce said.