Former super bantamweight champion Jessie Magdaleno (28-1) returned to action last week at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas with a disqualification win over Yenifel Vicente (36-5-2). It was his first fight since his August unanimous decision victory over Rafael Rivera in Southern California.
During the ESPN broadcast Magdaleno received criticism for not stopping Vicente. Analysts Timothy Bradley and Andre Ward wanted Magdaleno, who is ranked #1 by the WBC and #4 by the WBO in the featherweight division, to step on the gas and finish the fight off with a knockout.
Magdaleno's trainer Jorge Capetillo doesn't believe that the criticism was justified and pointed out that the 33-year-old Vicente has never been knocked out in his professional career and has faced several top prospects and contenders.
"Vicente is a veteran with good power. He wasn't just some random fighter. If Jessie fought someone like Shakur Stevenson fought and didn't knock him out then I would understand the criticism but a fighter like Vicente is a level above the guy Shakur fought," Capetillo told BoxingScene.com.
Capetillo was referencing Felix Caraballo, who Stevenson stopped in 6 rounds last Tuesday in the main event of the first fight card on ESPN since the covid-19 pandemic stopped virtually all sports throughout the world.
With the victory, Magdaleno has cemented his position as a top contender in the featherweight division. Capetillo believes his fighter is ready to fight for a title in his next fight.
"Jessie has been a world champion. He knows what it takes. He beat Nonito Donaire who is obviously a great fighter. We are ready for any of the champions. It doesn't matter which one," said Capetillo.
Send questions or comments to email@example.com You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter