By Francisco Salazar
Javier Fortuna will make his return to the ring on the heels of suffering his only defeat as a pro.
Fortuna will face fellow countryman and unbeaten Marlyn Cabrera on September 23, Sampson Lewkowicz told Boxingscene.com on Wednesday night.
The 10 round bout will take place at the Coliseo Carlos 'Teo' Cruz in Santo Domingo, Domingo Republic.
Fortuna (29-1-1, 21 KOs) was stopped by Jason Sosa in the 11th round on June 24. At the time of the stoppage, Fortuna was up on all three judges' scorecards and had already dropped Sosa earlier in the fight.
Fortuna lost his WBA junior lightweight title in the process.
It is another homecoming for Fortuna. The 27-year-old will be fighting for the first time in the Dominican Republic in almost two years.
"Javier would like the opportunity to regain his world title, but he must take care of business on September 23," Lewkowicz told Boxingscene.com.
The untested Cabrera (22-0, 10 KOs) could be in over his head as he has nowhere near faced the level of opposition Fortuna has. Cabrera has only faced five opponents with winning records.
In his last bout on November 14, Cabrera, who also hails from the Dominican Republic, won an eight round unanimous decision over Aneudy Matos.
In a clash of unbeaten prospects from the Dominican Republic, junior middleweight Jeison Rosario (11-0, 8 KOs) squares off against Carlos Jairo Cruz (17-0, 11 KOs) in a 10 round bout.
Junior welterweight Wellington Arias Romero (11-0-1, 5 KOs) will face Abrahan Peralta (18-4, 13 KOs) in an eight round bout.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for Boxingscene.com since September of 2012 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (Calif.) Star newspaper, RingTV, and Knockout Nation. He can be reached by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing