By Elisinio Castillo
Dominican boxer Javier "Abejon" Fortuna (31-1-1, 22 KOs) is motivated to return to boxing's highest level at 130 pounds and he is determined to beat anyone who stands in his way for the world title.
Last June in China, Fortuna lost his WBA super featherweight title when he suffered an upset knockout loss at the hands of Sosa. He came back in September to blow away undefeated and overmatched Maryln Cabrera, and then in November he got off the floor to win a unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Omar Douglas.
There is a rematch clause between Fortuna and Sosa, but it's not immediate and there is no word on when the two boxers will collide for a second time in the ring.
Fortuna, who is currently preparing back at home, revealed that his team has had advanced talks with the representatives of both Sosa and WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko.
"I'm ready to fight any of them, either Jason Sosa, Jezreel Corrales or Vasyl Lomachenko," he told MetroRD.
Of the latter, World Boxing Organization champion Lomachenko is heading in the direct of a possible unification with Corrales, who holds the "super" title of the World Boxing Association (WBA). That fight could take place on April 8, according to statements attributed to Top Rank president Todd duBoef.
In any case, Fortuna does not hesitate in stating that a victory against Sosa "would be sweeter" than facing either Corrales or Lomachenko.
"We are just waiting for the champion's decision," Sosa said. "My preparation is going great. I'm working with my trainer Juan Ramirez on the physical preparation and strengthening stage, which are the initial steps for a title fight."
Fortuna is hoping to return by March or April.
If Sosa-Fortuna II gets made, the winner will have to fight Corrales next - as part of the WBA's goal of establishing a single world champion in each weight class.