By Robert Morales

Shane Mosley vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, walked over to press row after "Sugar" Shane Mosley knocked out Ricardo Mayorga with one second left in their super welterweight fight Saturday at Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

Speaking with Tim Smith of the New York Daily News and yours truly, Schaefer was asked what is next for Mosley. Mosley has been calling out welterweight champion Antonio Margarito. But Margarito's promoter, Bob Arum, last week said that Mosley would have to wait until Margarito fights a rematch with Miguel Cotto in June.

Schaefer has another plan. He said he is going to speak with Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe, both of whom are advisers for the "retired" Floyd Mayweather Jr.

"We're going to make them an indecent proposal for Mayweather," Schaefer said, with a sly grin.

Well, we reached Ellerbe on Wednesday and his response was not very encouraging.

"My only comment is Floyd Mayweather is retired from the sport of boxing and he is not thinking about Shane Mosley or anybody else, for that matter," Ellerbe said.

Ellerbe was asked what Mayweather has been up to.

"He is spending a lot of time with his family, taking care of a lot of business and that's about it," Ellerbe said. "He's been busy."

When told that boxing could use Mayweather, Ellerbe came with a light, yet wicked, laugh.

Arreola Takes The Weight Blame

Chris Arreola is trying to become the first heavyweight world champion of Mexican descent. Now if he doesn't come in looking like the Mexican version of Butterbean again, he might accomplish his goal. He is good enough. But he showed last Thursday that he still lacks some discipline by coming into his fight against unknown Israel Carlos Garcia weighing a career-high 258 ½ flabby pounds. That's 19 1/2 pounds more than his previous fight, when he came in at 239.

OK, so Butterbean weighed well over 300 pounds. But for a man who is trying to rock the world of boxing fans of Mexican heritage everywhere, Arreola took a hell of a chance. That he won by third-round technical knockout is immaterial. Arreola goofed, and he knows it. He could have ruined everything.

The good news is, Arreola on Tuesday admitted that he was a bozo by not training very much for this fight. "To be honest with you, it's all my fault. I (screwed) up," Arreola said. According to the 6-foot-4 Arreola, it all started when a fight he thought he was going to have against former contender David Tua never materialized.

Instead, Arreola found himself training - and we use that term loosely - for someone who didn't belong in the same ring with him. The combination made for a lethal mind-set.

"I got it stuck in my head of fighting one person and when that didn't come through I really didn't care and I started underestimating other people," said Arreola, of Riverside, Calif. "I take this as a learning experience and I need to learn from this.

"A lot of writers talked about it. I didn't think it was that bad. I saw it when I got home on TV and I said, 'Man, I'm crap.' Even though I finished it in the third round, I could have finished it in the second or even the first."

In a rarity by a world-class athlete today, Arreola took 100 percent of the blame, exonerating trainer Henry Ramirez along the way. "It wasn't on Henry; he stays on my butt," Arreola said. "I wouldn't answer his phone calls. I would just stay home and play PlayStation and eat Oreos and drink milk. If I had gotten knocked out, it would have been my fault."

Arreola, 27, is 25-0 with 22 knockouts. If you believe in the rankings, he is ranked in the top 10 by three of the four major governing bodies; he is 11th in the fourth. In this case, his place in those entities is deserved. But Arreola acted Tuesday like he knew he got away with one. The only reason he did, of course, was because Garcia - though he came in 19-1 - was a club fighter and nothing more.

Arreola vowed this will never happen again.

"You should be hard on me because I'm hard on myself," he said during a telephone conversation. "You write what you need to write. I let a lot of people down. And I bear all of that on my shoulders. I deserve to be criticized and have crap talked about me."

Both Ramirez and Dan Goossen, Arreola's promoter, were interviewed for this story before Arreola was. Neither gave Arreola a free pass. Ramirez was especially hard on his fighter.

"There were days when we were at the gym and he wasn't," Ramirez said.

Ramirez said that there were two things that worked against Arreola: The Tua fight not happening, and training at a private gym near Arreola's home rather than in Big Bear.

"Training at home, he's shown he's not the most disciplined guy in the world," Ramirez said. "It would be a shame to not fulfill his potential due to a lack of discipline."

Ramirez said that he tried to convey to Arreola that even though he wasn't fighting Tua, he was what most boxing fans wanted to see, anyway.

"I told him, 'Tua or no Tua, you are the star,' " Ramirez said. Ramirez said Arreola has assured him that he will be in much better shape for his next fight - which will likely take place Nov. 29 on HBO. A little bird told us this week that Arreola and stablemate Paul Williams will fight co-features in the new Citizens Bank Arena opening Oct. 18 in Ontario, Calif. Ontario is just a hoop and a holler from Riverside.

As for Goossen, he sounded relieved that Arreola got through his fight with Garcia unscathed. Goossen suggested he is confident Arreola won't pull this stunt again.

"These are the things that you learn just as much as you do throwing combinations," Goossen said. "These are the learning experiences you take and you grow, so it doesn't happen again. You can never take anything for granted. ... You want to see a fighter's growth as he moves along, but they're human and they make mistakes inside and outside the ring.

"What you do is learn from it and I'm fairly confident that he has learned from it. But the only way he is going to show that is in his next fight."

Goossen wouldn't say for the record who Arreola's next opponent might be.

Dan Goossen Under Fire

Goossen is not thrilled about some of the heat he is taking for the aforementioned card on which Arreola stopped Garcia. It took place at Soboba Casino in San Jacinto, Calif. Arreola-Garcia was featured with the middleweight debut of welterweight champion Williams, who squared off with Andy Kolle.

After Arreola dispatched Garcia early, Williams knocked out Kolle in the first round. Goossen was thoroughly ripped by one very experienced boxing writer, who basically said it was a darn shame to have such mismatches on a card being televised by Versus. Goossen, during a Tuesday conversation, went about defending the card whose two main fights lasted less than a combined four rounds. Goossen said that his brother, trainer Joe Goossen, thought it could be a tough fight for Williams against Kolle. Dan Goossen said that Andre Ward - who stopped Kolle after the sixth round in April 2006 - told him Williams-Kolle was an interesting matchup.

"Don't get me wrong, I thought Paul Williams was going to win, but there were still some questions we didn't know," Goossen said. "How was he going to handle a middleweight who was on a winning streak ( of eight in a row)? What Paul did was deliver a great three-punch shot. As much as (Carlos) Quintana wasn't a mismatch when Paul knocked him out in one round (after Quintana had upset Williams), neither was Kolle. To take that approach is just typical of writers trying to find bad and writing about it."

Goossen took a breath.

"I didn't think Paul would lose," Goossen said, "but I promise you when I tell you this: I would have never thought Paul would knock him out in the first round. I really thought it would be a six- or seven-round fight and that he would eventually beat him down because he is that type of fighter."

Goossen then defended Arreola-Garcia, where the blown up Arreola still blew out Garcia.

"Other than Arreola's weight, I thought that Garcia tried and actually hit Arreola a few times well," Goossen said. "Garcia wanted to continue and wanted to fight. It wasn't a mismatch, Chris was just better."

By this time, Goossen was becoming somewhat animated.

"We are not promoters who look for the mismatch," Goossen said. "I don't want to embarrass anyone, especially our industry, our sport. I love the sport too much to shove anything down anyone's throat."

A Win Worth Talking About

Eric Gomez, matchmaker for Golden Boy Promotions, was in a very good mood Wednesday. Five days earlier, last Friday, 2004 U.S. Olympian Vicente Escobedo stopped Dominic Salcido in the sixth round of a lightweight fight Escobedo was losing at Morongo Casino in Cabazon, Calif.

Escobedo is promoted by Golden Boy. He came in with a record of 18-1 with 11 knockouts. But he had failed to stop any of his past six opponents inside the distance, and some experts were starting to wonder if Escobedo was going to amount to anything more than a glorified club fighter.

"It was probably the best fight of his career thus far," Gomez said. "It was very important, man, in all aspects. For us, he finally had a victory that is worth talking about, worth going to TV networks about. And he beat up a guy who was undefeated, a young kid who was a pretty good prospect himself. You can come back if you lose to a world champion, but his stock would have gone down dramatically if he would have lost to another prospect. It was a make or break fight."

With that victory also came some peace of mind for Gomez.

"I was being criticized as matchmaker for making this fight," Gomez said. "People were saying, 'You are setting Vicente up to lose.' And I kept having to defend myself. I kept saying, 'It's not that, it's time for him to step it up.' I can't just keep putting him in with guys he's supposed to beat. You gotta roll the dice a little bit. So I felt vindicated about that victory myself.

"Vicente is my baby, man. I have done every one of his fights out of the Olympics. He has been my little project, him and (fellow Olympian) Abner Mares. He finally performed."

Gomez said he realizes that Escobedo, 26, still has some work to do. But he wants to next put Escobedo in with a ranked fighter. One possibility is former champion Jesus Chavez, who is ranked as high as No. 13 by one governing body.

"We want it to be someone who may help him get closer to a world title," Gomez said.

As for Salcido, he didn't exactly destroy his own stock in the mind of Gomez. Prior to the fight Gomez said that Golden Boy was strongly interested in signing Salcido (16-1) to a contract that would give Golden Boy co-promotional rights along with Thompson Boxing Promotions, currently Salcido's lone promoter.

Gomez said Wednesday that the interest is still there.

"We're still willing to work with the kid if we can," Gomez said of Salcido, 24. "I told him afterward, 'If we can ever do anything in the future, no problem.' I still think the kid has a future. If Thompson would still work with us with a contract ... everything is still available. We're still interested in Dominic."

Robert Morales covers boxing for the Los Angeles Daily News, ESPN.com, Long Beach Press-Telegram, and BoxingScene.com