By Rick Reeno
Golden Boy Promotions' scheduled Showtime pay-per-view, on December 14th, took a big hit on Tuesday, when the International Boxing Federation refused to sanction a junior middleweight title fight between IBF champion Carlos Molina (22-5-2, 6KOs) and the returning Victor Ortiz (29-4-2, 22KOs).
Golden Boy was working hard on trying to get Ortiz ranked at 154, but the sanctioning body held their position on refusing to allow the Molina fight to go forward (at least as a title fight). Ortiz, inactive since June 2012, was returning from back to back knockout defeats and had never fought above the welterweight limit.
"I just heard about it. I knew they were trying to get Ortiz ranked and obviously we wanted the fight, it's a high profile fight, number two on the card," said Molina's promoter, Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing, to BoxingScene.com.
The fight between Ortiz and Molina was the co-featured attraction to the headliner of Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana, taking place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Golden Boy's CEO, Richard Schaefer, is on his way to the East Coast, where his company is staging a Showtime televised tripleheader on Saturday night from the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
Because the IBF's decision came down a few hours ago, no determination had been made on whether or not Ortiz will remain on the card against a different opponent or if Golden Boy will put together an entirely new contest.
One possible option could be a fight between Ortiz and former three division world champion Shane Mosley, who on Monday officially withdrew from his Wednesday fight in Sydney with Anthony Mundine. The fight was scheduled to take place at junior middleweight and Mosley has gone through a very tough training camp.
Mosley had previously been offered a fight with Ortiz, but took a pass on the opportunity because Australian promoter Vlad Wharton promised a fee of $1 million dollars to face Mundine. Wharton advanced a sum of $300,000 but breached the agreement by failing to pay Mosley the remaining $700,000 before the fight.
James Prince, who manages Mosley, told BoxingScene that his fighter is certainly interested in fighting on December 14th with Ortiz - if the financial terms could be worked out.
ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (45)