Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

IBF: Tete, Kinoshita Must Reach Title Deal By April 20

By Mesuli Zifo

The IBF has finally taken a clear direction regarding its vacant title in the junior bantamweight title after it mandated South Africa's Zolani Tete and Japanese Teiru Kinoshita to contest for it.

The crown was relinquished by Kinoshita's compatriot Daiki Kameda last week after numerous reports of him struggling to make the weight limit.

As BoxingScene had reported that Kameda would inform the IBF of his decision to abdicate the crown last weekend, the federation then took a decision to select two fighters in first rated Tete and third placed Kinoshita.

This week the federation sent both camps letters ordering them to begin negotiations and conclude them by April 20.

Should the camps fail to reach an agreement purse bids will be called.

Tete's promoter Branco Milenkovic has already indicated his intentions of staging the fight in South Africa.

And with SA national broadcaster returning to boxing after a three-year absence things are looking good for Milenkovic to get his wish.

While Kinoshita is the older of the two as at 28 years old he is Tete's senior by three years, he has fought a bout less than the South African.

But it is Tete who boasts more experience at the world stage in his 21 bouts having contested IBF sanctioned fights five times.

Kinoshita's claim to fame remains being the champion of his country and has never even contested for a regional title.

On the other hand Tete challenged for world titles twice winning the lightly regarded WBF flyweight title before getting stopped in five rounds by compatriot Moruti Mthalane in an IBF flyweight title challenge.

Tete has also traveled to both Mexico twice and Argentine where he lost debatable decisions to Alberto Rosas and Roberto Sosa in IBF title elimination bouts.

In his last bout last NovemberTete stunned favoured Mexican Juan Carlos Sanchez via a 10th round stoppage to earn the right to challenge for the IBF title.

Tete's manager Mla Tengimfene says his charge is not worried by the threat posed by the unbeaten ​Kinoshita having watched his tapes on numerous occasions.

"While we would like to fight at home for a change but we are not overly worried about this guy because we have watched him several times,” he says.

Kinoshita is a left hander like Tete but does not possess the power of the South African as he has scored just three stoppages in 19 wins with a draw.

Only two of Tete's 18 victims were able to hear the final bell with three losses.

Tags: Zolani Tete image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Golovkin vs. Martirosyan Undercard Coming Together Ishe Smith vs. Tony Harrison Finalized - PBC on Bounce, May 11 Tevin Farmer vs. Billy Dib Ordered For Vacant IBF World Title Photos: Ramon Alvarez, Jorge Paez on Weight For Showdown Photos: Gervonta Davis, Jesus Cuellar - Ready For WBA Title Fight Photos: Jermall Charlo, Hugo Centeno - Ready For Title Fight Photos: Adrien Broner, Jessie Vargas - Ready For War Frampton Admits a Loss To Donaire Could Mean End of Career Broner Weighs In Heavier Than Vargas for Their 144-Pound Fight Photos: Otto Wallin, Adrian Granat - Ready For a Viking War Gervonta Davis Makes Weight on First Try - First Time in 3 Fights WBC Reveal Huge List of Boxers Not Drug Testing With CBP/VADA LIVE Stream: Adrien Broner vs. Jessie Vargas - Official Weigh-In Gary Russell vs. Joseph Diaz Finalized For May 19 at MGM Harbor Khan: I Want To End Career With a Big Bang, I'm Still in My Prime Max Ornelas, Tony Lopez Fight For Bragging Rights on beIN Pacquiao: I Still Have a Couple of More Fights Before I Retire Povetkin's Promoter Claims $4.3 Million Court Win Over Wilder Photos: Frampton, Donaire Prepare For Fireworks in Belfast Photos: Amir Khan, Phil Lo Greco - Ready For War in Liverpool Hugo Centeno Reflects on Stoppage Loss To Maciej Sulecki Jesus Cuellar: Gervonta Davis is Overrated; He's No Mayweather! Broner on Vargas: He Ain't Win His Fights When He Stepped Up Hearn: We Won't Let You Play With Our Balls To Overpay Wilder! BoxingScene.com's Television Picks of The Week - April 20 Max Ornelas: I'll Do Whatever it Takes To Be a World Champion Vanes Martirosyan: Canelo is a Cheater, Golovkin is a Gentleman Khan vs. Lo Greco: Bilal Rehman To Remain On Card Amir Khan: If I Lose To Lo Greco - It's All Over For Me Jessie Vargas: No One Will Care About Broner After I Beat Him Euro News: Serge Michel, Stefan Haertel, Elvis Hetemi, More Photos: Pacquiao, Matthysse - Go Face To Face in Malaysia Pacquiao Expects a "Toe To Toe" Fight With Lucas Matthysse Don King Warns That Vanes Will Bring a Real Fight To Golovkin Lamont Roach, Orlando Cruz Fight To a Ten Round Split Draw WBC Prez: Canelo's Image Can Improve, Time To Turn The Page Sullivan Barrera Wants The Winner of Kovalev-Alvarez Khan: I Hoped Canelo Would Get Longer Ban, A Few Years at Least Video: Adrien Broner Goes Bonkers on Ellerbe at Final Presser Abel Sanchez Reacts To Canelo Suspension, Sends Message To WBC
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement