Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Holt-Allakhverdiev Fight Canceled Due To Visa Issues

By Keith Idec

A June 20 bout between former junior welterweight champion Kendall Holt and Khabib Allakhverdiev was canceled Friday due to Holt’s visa issue.

Holt, of Paterson, N.J., was scheduled to fly to Moscow on Wednesday for a 10-round, 140-pound fight against the unbeaten Russian southpaw.

His attorney, Patrick English, said Friday that Holt’s undisclosed visa problem could not be resolved in time for the ex-WBO titleholder to make the trip halfway around the world. Holt’s contract called for him to arrive in Moscow no fewer than six days before the fight for promotional purposes.

“It’s something that could’ve been resolved if we had more time to work it out,” English said. “This time frame wouldn’t allow it, so unfortunately the fight had to be canceled.”

It was not known Friday if Vladimir Hryunov, Allakhverdiev’s promoter, would try to reschedule the Holt-Allakhverdiev fight for later in the summer or go in a different direction. Hryunov agreed to pay the 31-year-old Holt (28-5, 16 KOs) a six-figure purse for the opportunity for Allakhverdiev to face a proven American junior welterweight, but the 29-year-old Allakhverdiev (16-0, 7 KOs) will have to continue waiting for that chance.

Allakhverdiev, who is trained by former undisputed junior welterweight champ Kostya Tszyu, is ranked No. 11 by the WBA. Holt is ranked No. 6 by the IBF and No. 5 by the WBO.

This cancelation marked the second time in three weeks one of Holt’s fights did not proceed as planned.

Holt had agreed to box Josesito Lopez (29-4, 17 KOs) on June 22 in an ESPN2 “Friday Night Fights” main event, but he decided not to sign a contract after Dan Goossen, Lopez’s promoter, secured Soboba Casino in San Jacinto, Calif., as the site for the fight. Holt was concerned about boxing Lopez, of nearby Riverside, Calif., outside during the summer in Southern California, especially since their 12-round IBF elimination match would’ve started before the sun went down.

Holt had hoped to get the Lopez fight rescheduled for sometime in July, at another venue, but Lopez pounced on a more lucrative opportunity to face former welterweight champ Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KOs) on June 23 at Staples Center before those talks took place between Goossen and Gary Shaw, Holt’s promoter.

Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, N.J., and BoxingScene.com.
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by macman on 06-09-2012

Damn, was looking forward to this one. Allakhverdiev looking very good so far, but this is a good step up against a dangerous fighter - do hope it's rescheduled. Also, sloppy damn work from Holt's people - this is the…

Comment by LAPete on 06-09-2012

This might be a blessing in disguise. Smart money would have a fighter travel half way around the world to fight at least one month in advance to insure that the fighter gets adjusted to the time change and the…

Comment by anonymous2.0 on 06-08-2012

Incompetent. Visas, passports, and all that other paperwork should have been done beforehand during negations so there wouldn't be this issue. Now you lose money because the team was unprofessional enough to say 'Hey, am I all set to go…

Comment by tripper on 06-08-2012

Zab judah is over there so he should step up and avenge his daft chicken dance knock out. Why do people wait until 1 week before a fight to try get a visa. Numptys

Comment by Unseen on 06-08-2012

Holt was going to make 100K which is more than what he normally gets.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (6)
Top Headlines Christian "Macho Time" Camacho on Boxeo Telemuno Card Crawford Tops Lomachenko, Wins ESPY For 'Fighter of the Year' Teofimo Lopez To Undergo Surgery on Right Hand on Friday Rey Vargas Already Back To Work, Hopes For Quick Return Photos: Jean Pascal, Steve Bosse - Face To Face at Final Presser Anthony Joshua: I'd Rather Lose Than Use PEDs To Win Toka Kahn Clary vs. Kid Galahad - IBF Eliminator Ordered Jazza Dickens vs. Martin Ward Rematch Off Due To Injury Dmitry Bivol: Fight Against Kovalev 'Most Likely' Will Happen Kalle Sauerland Talks WBSS Season 2 Draft, Usyk vs. Gassiev Photos: Mario Barrios Putting in Work For Jose Roman Jean Carlos Torres Headlines Return of PRBBP Series, August 10 Promoter: I Really Believed Munguai Would Knock Golovkin Out Lucas Matthysse Blasts Critics Who Claim He Quit With Pacquiao Abner Mares Joins Announce Team of Boxeo Telemundo Saunders vs. Andrade Purse Bid is Set By WBO For July 25 Anthony Joshua: This is Chapter 2 For Me - All Comers Welcome! Photos: Anthony Joshua, Alexander Povetkin - Face To Face in UK Ryan Martin, Terry Flanagan Aim To Shake Up WBSS Tourney Top Rank President is Very High on Teofimo Lopez Demetrius Andrade Not Expected To Face Billy Joe Saunders Next Miller: I Knew Joshua's a Punk; Wanted to Push His Buttons Manny Pacquiao vs. Lucas Matthysse: Afterthoughts Carl Frampton Getting Annoyed By Trash Talk of Luke Jackson Kamil Delighted After Winning The Right To Remain in Scotland Jermaine Franklin Decisions Craig Lewis at Motor City Casino Bellew: I Prefer Usyk-Gassiev Winner - But Fury Easier, Pays More Joshua: Wilder is Definitely Going To Happen - Confident I'll Win! Zeuge's Coach, Braehmer, Went Bonkers After Upset Loss Shakhram Giyasov Picks Up Stoppage Win in First Round Usyk, Gassiev Could Be One Step Away Before Heavyweight Leap Nacho: Canelo Needs The "Perfect Fight" To Beat Golovkin Subriel Matias vs. Breidis Prescott Set For August 18 Photos: Andrade, Vargas, Hooker, Roman Join Hearn, DAZN Photos: Anthony Joshua, Jarrell Miller - Confrontation in NYC Jarrell Miller-Artur Szpilka in Play For October 6 in Chicago Photos: Anthony Joshua, Alexander Povetkin - Go Face To Face Cindy Serrano Confident That She Will Shock Katie Taylor Chocolatito Solves Visa Issue, Hopes For September Return Joshua Warns Miller: Anyone is Welcome To Come Get The Smoke!
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement